The Playhouse -Stirrings in Sheffield

I have:huh: joined this forum to try to find out if anyone has got the words to "Sheffield Grinder".

I was in the play mentioned earlier at the Retford Little Theatre, and I will remember it as long as I live. It is a fabulous play with terrific music, my favourite being Grinder. If anyone knows how I can download a copy of the words I would be very grateful.

I remember more of the words than robbieh 29 can, but am still not sure of the whole thing.

I have:huh: joined this forum to try to find out if anyone has got the words to "Sheffield Grinder".

I was in the play mentioned earlier at the Retford Little Theatre, and I will remember it as long as I live. It is a fabulous play with terrific music, my favourite being Grinder. If anyone knows how I can download a copy of the words I would be very grateful.

I remember more of the words than robbieh 29 can, but am still not sure of the whole thing.

I played the part of William Broadhead in 1988. The Sheffield Grinder is a great song, I agree. I also loved the Music Hall scene, and Miss Blanche de la Fleur's (Minnie Murgatroyd) rendition of 'Nellie Dean'. I always thought that Colin George and Roderick Horn had been to Stoke to see 'The Jolly Potters'. It gave Roderick the idea for Stirrings, which was premiered at the old Sheffield Playhouse. Perhaps I am wrong.

Yes, it was definitely at the Playhouse that "Stirrings" was first staged. It must have been mid-1966.

As for the words, the play was published at the height of its popularity, so the song would be in there if you can trace copies; and, of course, in later times Tony Capstick made a record. (In fact, I think an LP was made of the music from the original play).

By the way, when "Stirrings" was revived at the Crucible many years later, they made a number of changes and, frankly, it lacked the spirit of the original. It seemed to me much more flippant than the original --which had a great imopact with Wilfred Harison as Bill Broadhead.

I think it is a shame that the story on which the play was based was never written up as a novel --and, done properly, it would have made a great film

The only work of fiction nased on the Sheffield Outrages was Put Yourself in His place by Victorian novelist Charles Reade, and that is rather an old-fashioned read by today's standards.

Many years ago, I met Broadhead's grandson, and he said that for many years the family kept a rather low profile, which is sad, for it was a phase in history and Broadhead was as much a victim as anyone.

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folk-song-lyrics/Sheffield_Grinder.htm or

The Song you are looking for is Grinders Hardships not The Sheffield Grinder.

THE GRINDERS' HARDSHIPS

(Written for the Grinders' Misfortune Society of Crookes, Sheffield; c. 1804)

To be a Sheffield grinder it is no easy trade;

There's more than you'd imagine in the grinding of a blade.

The strongest man amongst us is old at thirty-two,

For there's few who brave such hardships as we poor grinders do.

For there's few, &c.

It happened in the year eighteen hundred and five,

From May-day to Christmas the season was quite dry;

That all our oldest grinders such a time never knew,

For there's few who brave the hardships that we poor grinders do.

For there's few, &c.

In summer time we can't work till water does appear,

And if this does not happen the season is severe:

Then our fingers are numb'd by keen winter frosts or snow,

And few can brave the hardships that we poor grinders do.

And few, &c.

When war is proclaimed our masters quickly cry,

"Orders countermanded", our goods we all lay by;

Your prices we must settle, and you'll be stinted too-

There's few suffer such hardships as we poor grinders do.

There's few, &c.

There seldom comes a day but our dairy-maid goes wrong,

And if that does not happen, perhaps we break a stone;

Which may wound us for life or give us our final blow,

For there's few that brave such hardships as we poor grinders do.

For there's few, &c.

There's many a poor grinder who's thus been snatched away

Without a moment's warning to meet the Judgment day.

Before his Judge he must appear, his final doom to know;

There are few who brave such hardships as we poor grinders do.

There's few, &c.

Thus many a poor grinder, whose family is large,

That with his best endeavours cannot his debts discharge;

When children cry for bread, how pitiful the view,

Though few can brave such hardships as we poor grinders do.

Though few, &c.

So now I must conclude these few humble rhymes

With "Success to all grinders" who suffer in hard times;

I wish them better fortune, their families the same,

And may we never experience such hardships again.

By being further stinted and paying discount too,

There are few who brave such hardships as we grinders do.

There are few, &c.

I saw the original production of "Stirrings" in 1966 at the Playhouse. Excellent entertainment.

In 1990, as part of our study of the Industrial Revolution, I visited the Crucible to see it with a party of 13 year old pupils from Wakefield. Brought the curriculum to life and thoroughly enjoyed by all.

Listen For The Trains, Love by Stan Barstow with songs by Alex Glasgow, was equally as good.

The Crucible is a very good theatre but the old Playhouse had an intimate atmosphere which was hard to recreate.

• 1 month later...

The sound recording from Stirrings is available for free download from

time-has-told-me.blogspot.com

'Put Yourself in His place' by Charles Reade is available for free download from the gutenberg project.

I can't put in the URLs as I'm a newcomer to the forum, but a Google search will get you there

• 6 months later...
Wilfred Harrison, whose life revolved around the Sheffield Playhouse and who starred as William Broadhead in The Stirrings production, has sadly passed away at 91.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Theatre-pioneer-Wilfred-dies-at.5869867.jp

Wilfred Harrison was terrific as Broadhead in the original "Stirrings" --I can't think of anyone in later years who made a better job of the part. Moreover, Wilfred was one of a group of actors at the old Playhouse who will always be remembered with great affection by those who were Townhead Street regulars.