The Playhouse -Stirrings in Sheffield

Alan Cullen wrote children's Christmas plays for the Playhouse for many years during my childhood - oh, so many years ago now!

Trudi and the Minstral, John Willy and the Bee People and Island of the Winds (With Ann Stallybrass as Depression Number Three) are the ones I remember well.

Yes these productions were fantastic! Something to really look forward to! I used to see as many as I could in the 60's but some sod closed the playhouse down and for something worth a lot less...typically! (Have wished 'Montezuma's Revenge' on that guy many times! :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Watching the "stirings" at the playhouse on Townhead Street was my first experience of theatre and one I will never forget.

Dave Dawson was the English teacher at Rowlinson I have to thank for the experience.

Same for me Wisbech and I have seen every production of it since but none quite like the first time I saw it at The Playhouse I also bought the long playing record they sold there and still got it.

• 8 months later...

I didn't see the original though I was in the Newbold Green School (Chesterfield) play in the 80s. I Have the Sheffield Original Cast LP in poor condition! I see it is on at the Pomegranite Theatre Chestefield later this year - an amateur version by Chesterfield Playgoers.

I didn't see the original though I was in the Newbold Green School (Chesterfield) play in the 80s. I Have the Sheffield Original Cast LP in poor condition! I see it is on at the Pomegranite Theatre Chestefield later this year - an amateur version by Chesterfield Playgoers.

I will definately be going to this. Off to find the website!

I will definately be going to this. Off to find the website!

Hi

i'm the stage manager for chesterfield playgoers. we are doing the 'stirrings on sheffield' at the pomegranate theatre in chesterfield. it will be running from wednesday 17th November to saturday 20th. shows start at 7:30pm tickets available from the box office or there website

hope you all can come and see it as we plan to put on a good show.

Any questions feel free to contact me at rich_foster@hotmail.com

thanks

Hi

i'm the stage manager for chesterfield playgoers. we are doing the 'stirrings on sheffield' at the pomegranate theatre in chesterfield. it will be running from wednesday 17th November to saturday 20th. shows start at 7:30pm tickets available from the box office or there website

hope you all can come and see it as we plan to put on a good show.

Any questions feel free to contact me at rich_foster@hotmail.com

thanks

Followed this link from the Pomegranate site to book but it is not listed?

Booking

• 2 weeks later...

This thread seems have gone on for a while. I have only just joined. I saw the original production of Stirrings at the Playhouse and also saw it at the Crucible more than once. Think I may have seen it at Abbeydaley Industrial Hamlet as well although my memory may be playing tricks. I have an LP of The Crucible Production of The Stirrings In Sheffield On Saturday Night which was done by EMI in 1973. I imagine it is fairly rare. The play still remains one of my favourites ever.