The Playhouse -Stirrings in Sheffield

There is a book The Sheffield Outrages first published 1867 the report presented to the trades union commissioners containing full minuted evidence from all parties, who were granted a certificate of indemnity for giving full and truthful evidence. A good thing or we would never have gotten the full story.

Got the Sheffield Outrages Book. Bought it around 1975 from Foyles in Charing X Road. They just had the one copy which was slightly shop soiled and so got it for around 1/2 price (I think £17.50 which was a lot of money given that my salary then would have been around £700 pa). The book did a lot to shape my future view of things. I was also lucky enough to introduced to William Broadhead's grandson around that time. He was in his 80's and told me his family didn't speak about him too much. He showed me Wm Broadhead's apprentice indentures(think that's what they were called), which he let me borrow for a few day's. I wish that I'd photocopied them but don't think photocopying was easily available in the mid '70's

I too saw the original production at the Playhouse, before the Crucible was built, and also subsequently acquired a copy of the facsimile of the Royal Commission into the Outrages, which does make fascinating reading. For those who like obscure facts, you may like to know that the Victorian novelist Charles Reade (1814-84)--best known for his medieval historical novel The Cloister and the Hearth, which depicts the life of the father of Erasmus, and is still in print--also wrote a novel called Put Yourself in his Place (1870) based on the Outrages. It's not very well written, and sadly Reade never made it into the top-notch list of Victorian writers, but he does attempt something of the Sheffield dialect in depicting the working-class characters. Certainly an interesting read, but probably a bit hard to get hold of these days. I was lucky to find a copy a few years ago.

• 1 month later...

The Playhouse - Stirrings In Sheffield

For those who didn't know, The Sheffield Playhouse was situated in a alleyway cum lane that ran from Pinfold Street (not Trippet Lane) down to Townhead Street. I remember well the massive smooth flagstones and the guttering down the middle and the white railing bar all the way down and the Playhouse was on the left below half way. The address was Townhead Street. At the top of the lane was the bus stop for the 51 bus to Gleadless Townend (where I lived)/ Charnock Estate (possibly Herdings in those days) 1969-70-71. I don't know exactly when the Playhouse closed, possibly 71-72. Names of some people from Sheffield Playhouse in the mid 60's are :- John Pickles, Peter Denyer, Elizabeth Bell, Carrie Findlay, Tina Heaf, Zibba Mays, David Richardson, Edward Poulter and my favourite actor New Zealander James Laurenson who was later in Boney, Heartbeat, Morse and many others.

As regards to 'The Stirrings in Sheffield on Saturday Night' I have 3 LP's for sale. The LP's are from 1973 SLCW 1019 Crucible Theatre's production pressed by EMI. 1 copy is in almost perfect nick with lyric sheet and the other 2 are in average condition without lyric sheet (I will have to photocopy). Music is by Roderick Horn. According to the mass of info on the sleeve 'Stirrings’ originally opened May 6 1966. I also have 2 copies of the E.P. 'Songs from The Sheffield Playhouse' (picture sleeve) UN 191004, on the Unit Nineteen label. The E.P. has 6 songs played by Roderick Horn and Dorothy Vernon.

Side 1 - The Stirrings In Sheffield on Saturday Night

Song 1, The Grinders Hardships, song 2 Sheffield Workmen

Side 2 - Trudi and The Minstrel

Song 1, Says I To Myself, song 2 Oh What Times

John Willy and The Bee People

Song 1, Tiddly-I, song 2 Fussabout.

The E.P's are from 1966 and one is near mint condition, the other is in very good nick.

I also have 4 copies of the 'Capstick Comes Home' single, B-side is called The Sheffield Grinder (Horn as composer). 1 record excellent condition, 3 average.

Zakes 075 943 10152

• 4 weeks later...

I saw the production at the Pomegranate last night 19/11/10. Sadly it was under-rehearsed, many of the songs cut out and the production very dissapointing! The end - "Trade Union Bill passed in paliament" was hardly audible. I wish a professional company would take on this brilliant play!

I saw the production at the Pomegranate last night 19/11/10. Sadly it was under-rehearsed, many of the songs cut out and the production very dissapointing! The end - "Trade Union Bill passed in paliament" was hardly audible. I wish a professional company would take on this brilliant play!

The version of the script we were given to work from was the one with most of the songs cut out - it was most odd, we were only made aware of the fact that there was more than one version very late into rehearsals.

Still, the cast had a ball, despite its obvious problems - I played Hallam, by the way. Fun part. Fun play, too.

Any one ever go to the Playhouse to see "The Stirrings in Sheffield on Saturday Night"?

I can still remember the tune to the song, well the first line anyway.

Must have been the sixties.

I recently bought a copy of the script, although I have'nt read it yet.

A brilliant play I believe it was 1965/66 I was about 11 or 12 years old.

• 8 months later...