Sutherland Road Baths

stevo

Been looking at the photo again and in general things look right except for the balcony. Maybe it's a a very old picture and balcony added later. What do you think.

Just had a look at the other photos of the streets around the baths and they were taken in the 60s.My memories of the baths are from the 40s and 50s so the balcony could have been taken down in the 60s.

Just a thought. What if you view the photo like THIS instead. The balcony could still be there.

Thoughts?

It's possible but I think there was a balcony at both sides. I found this in the online version of the Burngreave Messenger:

"Gordon Lawton 2009-03-10 23:09:42

The photo of the swimming pool, although similar is posibly not Brightside pool. There was a spectator balcony all around the perimeter just above the changing cubicles which is not evident in the photo.

The wash house attendant referred to as Fred was Fred Shaw he was also the swimming pool attendant. He was well known for bringing out the high pressure hose when youngsters would not get out of the pool when their allotted time up. Officially swimmers were allowed 20 minutes for 4d and this was strictly adhered to during the hot summer holidays. Any other times providing there was enough spare changing cabins no time limit was adhered to and so my friends and I often had good 3 hour swimming sessions. My last swim in the pool was in 1972 when on a visit to UK I took my 2 daughters but signs a very weary building were evident.

Gordon Lawton Renmark South Australia"

Personally, I think the balcony must have been added after the photo was taken. The baths were opened in 1937. It's hard to believe the building was only 20 years old when I first went there, it seemed a much older building.

It's possible but I think there was a balcony at both sides.

'' Personally, I think the balcony must have been added after the photo was taken. The baths were opened in 1937. It's hard to believe the building was only 20 years old when I first went there, it seemed a much older building.

Could be a very early photo,water very dark ,I only ever swam in it like that a couple of times and under the surface there was a strange noise in your ears. I've wondered if anyone else had experienced this. When enlarged the pool appears to have a trough around the sides as did the Sutherland road one. I would have thought it opened earlier than 1937 , my mother said she used it a lot in her teens and she was born in 1915. I still think it looks right except for the balconies.If only you could see the the Brycreme machine to the right.

Could be a very early photo,water very dark ,I only ever swam in it like that a couple of times and under the surface there was a strange noise in your ears. I've wondered if anyone else had experienced this. When enlarged the pool appears to have a trough around the sides as did the Sutherland road one. I would have thought it opened earlier than 1937 , my mother said she used it a lot in her teens and she was born in 1915. I still think it looks right except for the balconies.If only you could see the the Brycreme machine to the right.

The brylcreem machine was near the exit from the pool.We never had any money and if no one was watching we would suck out some brylcreem(revolting)it tasted horrible.I can remember going there and paying 2 jam jars and a bath ticket to get in.Can you remember the trunks you could hire,as you dived in they shot off.

I would have thought it opened earlier than 1937 , my mother said she used it a lot in her teens and she was born in 1915.

Judging by this photo it has more of an Edwardian design. The brickwork in the gables and the clock tower certainly looks so, quite stylized. I would hazard a guess of around 1910.

I believe they were demolished in the 70s, our school {Shiregreen sec modern} used these baths for school sessions in the 50s @ 60s. We used to be marched to Firth Park to catch the tram to Gower St, then another route march to the baths.

We were given swimming lessons by a strict ex army type called Mr Scott, I wonder if anyone else remembers him?

used to do that in the early 40.s

Archived