Sutherland Road Baths

stevo

Judging by this photo it has more of an Edwardian design. The brickwork in the gables and the clock tower certainly looks so, quite stylized. I would hazard a guess of around 1910.

The 1890 map of Sheffield shows no buildings on the west side of Sutherland Road but by 1905 there were some houses and the Public Baths.

Judging by this photo it has more of an Edwardian design. The brickwork in the gables and the clock tower certainly looks so, quite stylized. I would hazard a guess of around 1910.

The 1890 map of Sheffield shows no buildings on the west side of Sutherland Road but by 1905 there were some houses and the Public Baths.

Seen the 1905 map now, the 1937 opening date was quoted in the Burngreave Messenger. I thought it must have been a lot older than that. :)

Found this whilst doing some checking,.l lived in that area (Carwood Road end)for 20 years and I never saw or heard anything about a pool on Scott Road was it in the College ,anybody else know about one???

THYLACINE

Sheffield History Pro

Sheffield History Member

PipPipPip

625 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

There were public baths on Scott Road at Pitsmoor, they were demolished in the 1970's. I took a photo of the ruins, just part of a tiled wall with the words 'Deep End' I would love to post it but I can't find it.

Were public baths marked on any maps (not on mine)

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 01:04 ----------

E-mail from Picture Sheffield

Thank you for your e-mails concerning the photograph of Sutherland Road baths.

I haven’t been able to find another interior photograph of the baths which would confirm whether it is correctly labelled or not so, having looked at the discussion on Sheffield Forum (including the reminiscences of early school swimming instructors which brought back some unhappy memories!), I think I will leave it as it is for the time being. Of course if we discover any information to the contrary we are happy to alter photographs.

Thank you for your interest.

Yours sincerely

Mrs Pat Dallman

Local Studies Libary

I learnt to swim at Sutherland Rd and remember Mr Scott well I lived nearby on Ditchingam St and me & my mates Mick Knowles kenny Bennet Garry & Graham Atkin spent hours in there great times.

I know the atkins,kenny bennet&nick knowles

They are the mates I'm on about you will probably know me as well my name is Tommy Robinson.

in think i remember you tommy as im sure we are about the same age,my name is anthony marshall although for many years i have been known as alf

in think i remember you tommy as im sure we are about the same age,my name is anthony marshall although for many years i have been known as alf
Your name rings a bell I was born in 56 where did you live I can remember a girl called Marshall back then but not her first name.

Your name rings a bell I was born in 56 where did you live I can remember a girl called Marshall back then but not her first name.

i was born in 1956 , i think the girl was christine or ann marshall, no relation. i lived on brunswick road i knocked about with ian foxton,mick perkington,warwick bradley.did you used to have blonde hair&wear glasses tommy ?

Archived