Sutherland Road Baths

stevo

I too remember the legend that is "mr scott" looking back i dont think, being as young as we were, we appreciated his humour. we went from earl marshal school in the early/mi-seventies and seeing the fearsome mr francis perched on the edge of the pool mr scott offered a chocolate bar to anybody who would brush past him and accidentally push him in. nobody dare, but it made us laugh, but upsetting francis was bridge too far. incidentally i bumped into mr fracis a few years after leaving school in the bookies at page hall, he said he was just checking how a "friends" horse had gone on with a wry grin. dont think the teachers were as bad as we all remember.

I too remember Francis, he was a good bloke in reality.

Thanks pitsmoorboy but I'm walkley boy and I dont know where sutherland rd is

Arr That explains it. I could say it runs between Peter St. and Carlisle St. But then you will be saying "where is Peter St. etc. Street guide is your answer mate, Good luck.

• 8 months later...
I believe they were demolished in the 70s, our school {Shiregreen sec modern} used these baths for school sessions in the 50s @ 60s. We used to be marched to Firth Park to catch the tram to Gower St, then another route march to the baths.

We were given swimming lessons by a strict ex army type called Mr Scott, I wonder if anyone else remembers him?

Mr scott taught me to swim

i remember scotty, but any one remember the bath attendant "baldy fred" who was a nice bloke, and mrs taffinder (old taffy) who used to look after the slipper baths, she lived in an old house at the top of smiths fields. you could get pea soup for an old sixpence when you came out

Mrs Taffinder was my mother- in law, anyone remember her, ?, Blonde hair, Blue overall, and wellies, We all lived at the old manor house at the top of Smith's field, love to hear from anyone .

Archived