Sutherland Road Baths

stevo

I worked at English Steel Corp on Brightside Lane 1960-1967 . In 1962 they decided to send me to Outward Bound at Aberdovey Sea School but I couldn't swim so went on a crash course to learn at ESC's Swimming Club which was held one evening a week at Sutherland Rd. They did a good job & at least I could swim ok when I went to Aberdovey. Thankfully I never fell in the water there so didn't need to put my swimming skills to the test!!

John

The Holger Nielson life saving method was where you laid the victim on his tum, then kneeling at his head lifted his arms up and down after you had placed his head on his hands. I think this action was suposed to pump water from the lungs!

Never had to practise for real thank god, so no idea if it worked, we were certainly not taught the mouth to mouth method at school, I don't think it had been invented then.

For all "Scotty's" fierceness, I supose we aught to be grateful that at least we can all swim, I can certainly remember the bristle end of the broom when I started flagging on my first length.

I think his swimming method was the "frighten the buggers to death" method, you did'nt dare fail!

I should be able to swim faster now, no hair to cause drag ha! ha!

Got me going about the "Brylcreem" dispenser. Have to see if I can get on EBay, if not a juke box will do!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Our family used all three of the facilities at Sutherland Road: we kids used the swimming pool on Saturday morning in the late 1950s/early sixties, which was quite large and tiled throughout, except for the wooden changing rooms round the sides; grandma used the wash-house every Wednesday all through the fifties and sixties, though it had been modernised by then (she took two suitcases full of washing piled onto an old pram, from Nottingham Street, a fair walk); and I used the slipper baths in the mid sixties when I got to be a teenager and didn't want to get into a tin bath in the kitchen any more.

I went to Owler lane school 59-63 and we went to Sutherland Road baths. Scotty scared us all ,but he taught us and hundreds more to swim, he taught us to dive by making us lean towards the water and went down the line with the plastic float smacking you on the arse if you didn't dive, we soon learned.

My Mum remembers there were slipper bath's there , she lived on Thorndon Road that was about opposite to were the baths were my parents got married at the church that was at the top of the road. I never went in but learnt to swim at Attercliffe baths Mr Mettam

i first swam at 8 and it was all down to him, Thanks if you are still around

Our family used all three of the facilities at Sutherland Road: we kids used the swimming pool on Saturday morning in the late 1950s/early sixties, which was quite large and tiled throughout, except for the wooden changing rooms round the sides; grandma used the wash-house every Wednesday all through the fifties and sixties, though it had been modernised by then (she took two suitcases full of washing piled onto an old pram, from Nottingham Street, a fair walk); and I used the slipper baths in the mid sixties when I got to be a teenager and didn't want to get into a tin bath in the kitchen any more.

Did you by any chance attend Ellesmere Rd school,I also remember going to the wash house every fortnight with a suitcase on an old pram, and horrible Mr Scott at the swimming baths.

It was 25 yards long, 5'-9" at the deep end and, if I remember rightly, 3'-6" at the shallow end.

Archived