Anyone work as an NVQ assessor?

I'm wanting some advive on working as an nvq assessor, if anyone does this or knows someone who does, preferably in catering/hospitality please could you contact me.

I'm an NVQ assessor but in Childcare......

However, the principles of assessing are the same whatever field it's in, so I may be able to help

I have thought in the recent past that I'd like to get involved in NVQ assessing too but seem to hit a brick wall because this requires me to be working in the field already i.e. have someone to assess. But I'd like to have the qualification so I can assess rather become qualified in a process that's already going.

Am I misunderstanding the process? Is it a Catch 22?

Any light you can shed on it would be welcome.

I have thought in the recent past that I'd like to get involved in NVQ assessing too but seem to hit a brick wall because this requires me to be working in the field already i.e. have someone to assess. But I'd like to have the qualification so I can assess rather become qualified in a process that's already going.

I'm in the process of trying to find somewhere to do my A1 assessors qualification, and have been told that you need 2 people 2 assess to achieve this?? I'm not sure whether you sign up to get the qualification and they find you 2 candidates or whether you need to work as an assessor already.

If you do need to be working as an assessor already its a little diificult because I applied for a job this week and was told I need the A1 first! :loopy:

To be an assessor you need to have sector knowledge, so you couldn't be one for say Hairdressing if your work experience is in Car Mechanics ;) You don't need other quals other than experience and to be able to get along with candidates, explain things clearly and help them find evidence for their portfolios etc.

But becoming one depends on getting your Assessor certificate and then of course having someone to assess! It's worth asking your training/personnel/line manager at work if they have any existing candidates or anyone wants to do an NVQ because at the same time, you could take your Assessor cert by assessing a couple of candidates in your own workplace. A few places will assess you to become an Assessor.

FE Education is very strange.

To do any of the teaching quals, you need to be working as a Lecturer, however you cannot become a Lecturer without a Teaching Qualification.

Voluntary teaching does not count, and it is the same for NVQ Assessing.

I'm in the process of trying to find somewhere to do my A1 assessors qualification, and have been told that you need 2 people 2 assess to achieve this?? I'm not sure whether you sign up to get the qualification and they find you 2 candidates or whether you need to work as an assessor already.

If you do need to be working as an assessor already its a little diificult because I applied for a job this week and was told I need the A1 first! :loopy:

X Posted....

You could take up the job if the new place were willing to let you train 'on the job', that's perfectly OK.

It helps if you already have a couple of people wanting to do the NVQ you want to get your Assessor's cert for. I don't know of centres which will sort you out with candidates, but there may be some. It's worth asking the local LSC for advice on that one. Or even the Awarding bodies - so OCR still do them? The Awarding Bodies have the External Verifiers who go out to make sure centres, Assessors and Internal Verifiers are up to scratch, so they should also know which centres are offering which awards.

precisely my "problem."

You need to have the people to Assess before you do the course, they won't find you people to assess.

I asked the question, what exactly is the ITQ qual in IT and the answer was "It has to be a work related task", now how does that work...:confused:

1) If someone does not have a job then how can they do a work related task

2) What is the qualification to be tested against, ie, if doing a spreadsheet does the candidate have to be able to create a graph, or an IF statement?

In my opinion, you are best avoiding FE for a career, staff are employed by teaching agencies and the terms/conditions are very poor