Anyone work as an NVQ assessor?

Not all NVQ Assessors are based in FE, in fact I think most are based within training departments of major firms, or else they are based in private training providers. That's because an NVQ is about work based assessment and while they are offered vis youth training and colleges, it's actually easier for candidates if they do them in their own workplace because getting an NVQ is all about showing you can do set tasks and have a certain level of understanding. When they're done in an FE setting you have to 'set up' situations for the youngsters and it's not as good as what they will encounter in a real life job!

My precise problem is that I already work in the driver training industry, both in on-road and classroom theory stuff.

A great deal of work will be available to those suitably qualified in the coming years as driver CPC's kick in.

I am suggesting, of course, that for "CPC" you can read "NVQ."

Even if I am wrong, loads of industry sectors are headed towards NVQ's.

Hence my interest in getting an A1 assessor qualification but there's the Catch22 block mentioned above of getting it in advance of actually doing the job ...

Hmmmm Interesting? I looked at doing the assesor course too the A1 as mentioned. As I have qualifications as well as a lot of diverse experience in catering. I also now run my own businesses, so could probably find someone to assess, my problem was the only course available was being run in Doncaster. Anyone know of an A1 assesor course in Sheffield?

Hmmmm Interesting? I looked at doing the assesor course too the A1 as mentioned. As I have qualifications as well as a lot of diverse experience in catering. I also now run my own businesses, so could probably find someone to assess, my problem was the only course available was being run in Doncaster. Anyone know of an A1 assesor course in Sheffield?

i've been told at the sheffield college. I've e-mailed for info this afternoon and will let you know if I hear anything

Hi

Our company trains Assessors. You would need two learners doing their NVQ. Their work would become your evidence as you would assess this. You can view the A1 standards on the internet. This course is free but you need to meet a criteria. We don't do catering or hospitality but you could have two people doing customer services for example. We are based in Sheffield and can sometimes supply you with learners but you would need to do this on a voluntary basis.

Good luck

I'm wanting some advive on working as an nvq assessor, if anyone does this or knows someone who does, preferably in catering/hospitality please could you contact me.

Im a qualified Assessor in Retail, customer service and Team leading. Pm me if you want any info...:thumbsup:

FE Education is very strange.

To do any of the teaching quals, you need to be working as a Lecturer, however you cannot become a Lecturer without a Teaching Qualification.

Voluntary teaching does not count, and it is the same for NVQ Assessing.

You can teach for either a year or 2 years (not sure which) before working toward a qualification, obviously depending on other qualifications and whether your place of work is willing to let you do so. That's how I did my teaching qualification.

To do the PTLLS teaching qualification, you don't have to actually be teaching, you do a 'micro-teach' to the rest of your group, then once you have this qualification, you can get a job teaching in F.E. then work towards further qualifications that do require you to have a certain number of hours teaching.

You can teach for either a year or 2 years (not sure which) before working toward a qualification, obviously depending on other qualifications and whether your place of work is willing to let you do so. That's how I did my teaching qualification.

To do the PTLLS teaching qualification, you don't have to actually be teaching, you do a 'micro-teach' to the rest of your group, then once you have this qualification, you can get a job teaching in F.E. then work towards further qualifications that do require you to have a certain number of hours teaching.

In the old days, you could do a 7302 teaching qual without any teaching hours, however realistically the 7302 is not worth the papers its written on.

With the 7407, you did need teaching hours, as with the cert ed, however as many people found who completed the 7302, they could not progress onto the 7407 as they were not working in teaching.

People couldn't get jobs in teaching as they didnt have the 7407, so it was a silly catch 22 situation.

No qual = no work, No teaching hours = can't get onto the course.

In the old days, you could do a 7302 teaching qual without any teaching hours, however realistically the 7302 is not worth the papers its written on.

With the 7407, you did need teaching hours, as with the cert ed, however as many people found who completed the 7302, they could not progress onto the 7407 as they were not working in teaching.

People couldn't get jobs in teaching as they didnt have the 7407, so it was a silly catch 22 situation.

No qual = no work, No teaching hours = can't get onto the course.

PTLLS has now 'replaced' 7302 and can still be done without teaching hours