Poems for perusal

jobee

Yes Halibut, rewrite psychosis I would like to see the result.

I don't think it's salvageable - sorry! No offence intended Jobee, but I think your work is clunky, formulaic and predictable. Your reliance on rhyme leads you into some pretty shocking corners - like the one I quoted earlier. Moaned/groaned - not good......

Stephen Fry has written an excellent book called 'The ode less travelled' about how to write poetry. I think you'd do well to lay hands on a copy and see what you can do with a bit of guidance.

I don't think it's salvageable - sorry! No offence intended Jobee, but I think your work is clunky, formulaic and predictable. Your reliance on rhyme leads you into some pretty shocking corners - like the one I quoted earlier. Moaned/groaned - not good......

Stephen Fry has written an excellent book called 'The ode less travelled' about how to write poetry. I think you'd do well to lay hands on a copy and see what you can do with a bit of guidance.

What is wrong with moaned/groaned.

I dont want to read anyone's poetry.

I would like to see one of yours, just to prove your not a yak yak yak man.

I don't think it's salvageable - sorry!

O come on, all that reading you,ve done, are you saying it's all a waste of time-perform maestro, lead by example.

I would like to see one of yours, just to prove your not a yak yak yak man.

I haven't any to show you, but why would you think my opinion invalid without showing you my own work?

Here - have a look at this piece

Bayonet Charge by Ted Hughes

Suddenly he awoke and was running - raw

In raw seamed hot khaki, his sweat heavy,

Stumbling across a field of clods towards a green hedge

That dazzled with rifle fire, hearing

Bullets smacking the belly out of the air -

He lugged a rifle numb as a smashed arm;

//

Threw up a yellow hare that rolled like a flame

And crawled in a threshing circle, it's mouth wide

Open silent, it's eyes standing out.

//

GL Note: Full quotation of poem edited for copyright reasons.

What Hughes does really well here is create memorable and effective images - 'bullets smacking the bellly out of the air' and the hare that 'rollled like a flame'.

Notice the absence of rhyme?

I don't think it's salvageable - sorry!

O come on, all that reading you,ve done, are you saying it's all a waste of time-perform maestro, lead by example.

I'm not claiming to be a good poet! You offered up your work for appraisal and I've given you my honest opinion.

OK, no one is perfect, I dont read poetry at all.

Jobee, you're missing out on some brilliant stuff. I gather from your subject matter that you're ex-forces, right? There are some stunningly good poems out there that you could read. If you want to keep on writing it'd be great for you to read other poets - you'll get loads of ideas about the possibilities, the various forms and so on. Don't let my criticism put you off - let it be a spur to finding out how much better you can be.

Here's another of my favourite war poems - Wilfred Owens' Anthem for Doomed Youth.

Hughes looks in good form.

Doesn't he just! My favourite poet.

Why? It's another example of spectacularly poor poetry and I make no apology for saying so.

Are you suggesting that it has some merit? If so, what?

Jobee after Hughes-

Psychosis.

-------

Buildings strong, high, power, safe.

Confidence lapsed, hopes veneer.

Cryptic book, unclear, huddled mass.

Sheep together, strength, robes awe.

Praying to what?, why?, fear.

Minds drift, celestial immortality.

continued==:help:

Archived