Wicker public houses

mintar

The Station in the 90s with Joker and the rest of the reprabates in there was one of the best pubs Ive ever visited!

To hell with all these posh, psuedo middle clarrrrrse nancy-wancy, namby-pamby wine sucking girly boy pubs, the Wicker had real pubs with real people in them!

I lived in the Wicker & visited them all. Regularly.:thumbsup:

Hi,

Did you live in the Wicker itself or in the Wicker area? What years are you talking about ? I lived in the area (1937 - 1960)

Re: The Wilberforce - I don't think it was licenced: just a restaurant that sold good plain food at reasonable prices.

If you remember the Wilberforce, you will also remember Waterfalls, the grocers next to Bentley's showroom - at the corner of Andrews Street.

Do you remember those two small businesses on Stanley Street - corner of Wicker Lane - next to Harrison's plating shop.

One was Woodhouse's that made and repaired weigh scales. The other was a Mr. Lant, who was a wood turner and made bowls for lawn bowling.

When the property was being pulled down, both businesse moved and set up shop in the bottom of the Stanley Street club.

I was down Stanley St. at the end of May. Not only has the businesses disappeared but the club has gone as well.

Regards

The Station in the 90s with Joker and the rest of the reprabates in there was one of the best pubs Ive ever visited!

To hell with all these posh, psuedo middle clarrrrrse nancy-wancy, namby-pamby wine sucking girly boy pubs, the Wicker had real pubs with real people in them!

agree JABBer..is that joker from pitsmoor x:?:

According to my notes there were the following pubs in the Wicker over the years.

Sarting from the bridge to Nursery Street there was:-

The Lion, Old White Lion, Big Gun, New White Lion, Railway Inn, The Chequers, (Waterloo Tavern on Andrew Street), The Viaduct, The Station and running off The Wicker on Walker Street were The Sun Inn and The Harp Inn.

On the river side of the Wicker starting from Blonk Street was The Corner Pin, The Crown, The **** Inn, The Sir John Falstaff. Running off The Wicker on Wiley Street was the Bay Horse, and on Sheldon Street was the Blacksmiths Arms.

Back on The Wicker there were The Golden Ball, The Brown Cow, The Sportsman Group, and The Bull and Oak. Just through the Wicker Arches was the Victoria Archers Tavern and the George.

Hope these names awake a few memories.

Happy Days! Cheers to Everyone from PopT

Archived