Wicker public houses

mintar

dont see him now ,i know he hung out in cannon,but where he gos now is anybodys guess...

Last I saw of him was in the early 90s if I remember rightly, he was standing in the Hen and Chickens having a pint....

A pint I bought him of course! :D

I cant honestly remember the bugger ever buying a drink for himself!

Last I saw of him was in the early 90s if I remember rightly, he was standing in the Hen and Chickens having a pint....

A pint I bought him of course! :D

I cant honestly remember the bugger ever buying a drink for himself!

yes ive, bought him a few ,goodness no,s how many cigs hes had .proberly stays in now nowhere to go with all pubs closing..:(

I remember the Station Hotel and the singers that use to frequent there an old lady called Ma who use to get on stage and sing a cheeky version of Old King Cole, amongst many others.

I think this was 80s im not sure.

thats old beattie davidson,used to sing"i ant ad it up since christmas....that owd umberella of mine" the box twins,mick and graham,who for a time went out with the twin girls,jacqueline and julie...big terry,the compere at the station, big glenys yoxall,all regulars in the station,along with scotch archie,also the tattooists from the imperial studio,the late derek darby,dougie and wilf,who had the viaduct,the wilkins family....god,you,ve stirred some memories....

Only went in those pubs at the end of the days of beer on (or just off) the Wicker, though it was always an experience!

I remember on the first Sunday that all day opening was allowed, the Independent on Sunday ran a typical sort of "let's see what boozers think" article, and they went down the Wicker in the previous week, and called it, ahem, .....

"A boulevard of notorious intemperance"

Christ alone knows what they'd have made of it some years beforehand!

I knew Trevor from the Bull & Oak reasonably well, and I still think the Viaduct had a reasonably decent pint of Wards (nowt like in the sadly missed Harlequin though), but it tended to be the Big Gun where I'd end up in after Saturday matches. Mainly because the beer was dirt cheap, and that we could get on the pool table too.

I remember after a match v Reading (which we lost), my mate Darren deciding to get the hump on and take on the entire Met Police Rugby Union Squad in the tap room. Oh, how we laughed!

What was probably the funniest bit (bearing in mind that I was a serving Civil Servant) was the barman tipping us a wink to say "These are coppers, so be careful!".

Is the Hare and Hounds still derelict?

Archived