Wicker public houses

mintar

Only went in those pubs at the end of the days of beer on (or just off) the Wicker, though it was always an experience!

I remember on the first Sunday that all day opening was allowed, the Independent on Sunday ran a typical sort of "let's see what boozers think" article, and they went down the Wicker in the previous week, and called it, ahem, .....

"A boulevard of notorious intemperance"

Christ alone knows what they'd have made of it some years beforehand!

I knew Trevor from the Bull & Oak reasonably well, and I still think the Viaduct had a reasonably decent pint of Wards (nowt like in the sadly missed Harlequin though), but it tended to be the Big Gun where I'd end up in after Saturday matches. Mainly because the beer was dirt cheap, and that we could get on the pool table too.

I remember after a match v Reading (which we lost), my mate Darren deciding to get the hump on and take on the entire Met Police Rugby Union Squad in the tap room. Oh, how we laughed!

What was probably the funniest bit (bearing in mind that I was a serving Civil Servant) was the barman tipping us a wink to say "These are coppers, so be careful!".

Is the Hare and Hounds still derelict?

it was always derelict:)......once remember going on a day trip to mabelthorpe with the hare and hounds,half the bus was taken up by the wilkins family, a bloke called kenny spewed up all over joyce and brians back just as we pulled into the seacroft bus station......oh happy days.......

• 2 weeks later...
hare and hounds has gone , shame,

I got taken in the Hare & Hounds on Nursery St by the women buffers that I worked with on my 17th birthday, they told Jim the landlord that it was my 18th, I started going in there every Fri & Sat after that until I reached my next B/day.

I enjoyed watching the bloke play piano & the different people getting up to sing etc, Jim was always on hand to help me out when the coppers came in, ha ha, they were the good old days. [1960]

I was in the Viaduct early 1970 when I decided to apply to move to Oz, I was going to work, but changed my mind & went home and got the wife & kids and we filled out the papers at some travel agents in the wicker, the rest is history.

I got taken in the Hare & Hounds on Nursery St by the women buffers that I worked with on my 17th birthday, they told Jim the landlord that it was my 18th, I started going in there every Fri & Sat after that until I reached my next B/day.

I enjoyed watching the bloke play piano & the different people getting up to sing etc, Jim was always on hand to help me out when the coppers came in, ha ha, they were the good old days. [1960]

I was in the Viaduct early 1970 when I decided to apply to move to Oz, I was going to work, but changed my mind & went home and got the wife & kids and we filled out the papers at some travel agents in the wicker, the rest is history.

Probably Woodcocks.

Archived