A Brightside MP?

peterw

IF thinking about things you can’t remember, worrying about them all night and then finally deciding in the morning that the thing to do is seek out any owd lad on Sheffield Forum who might remember what you need to know, then I plead guilty.

I have tried Google without success — just remembered I haven’t entered Communist Party — primarily, I think, because I cannot remember the man’s name or anything else about him.

So, put me out of my misery and tell me … who, during the post-war years stood successfully as the MP for Brightside, Sheffield, and was I believe the only Communist to be successful in Sheffield.

At the back of my mind I seem to recall that he was one of four Communist MPs, but the only one from Sheffield!

Who the h*ll was he? Any info would be most welcome.

Martin Flannery was MP for Hillsborough and a former communist. Does that help?

Yes, thanks, it does! I thought Sheffield’s only MP was the gent who persuaded Brightsiders to vote for him. That alone must have been difficult!

Still need his name though.

The Labour MP for Brightside in the 1950s was Dick Winterbottom.

Thanks for that. I am not being facetious because your input does actually help, despite the fact that I am still looking for the name of the Communist MP who reigned before him.

I wonder why it is that when I have something really important to ask Google, it fails me! Something trivial and millions of people around the world know the equally trivial answer, no problem!

Archived