Brief Encounter--------

jobee

BRIEF ENCOUNTER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An uneasy glance across the room, a second glance none to soon,

she’s looking at me, that’s for sure, she’s very smart with much allure,

the guys she's with seems to care, his arm around a waist that's bare,

she turns him with his back to me, her eyes just say she can be free.

An uneasy wriggle in my seat, where and when can we meet,

who is she then and what her name, I sure enjoy this flirting game,

I reach the bar and get a drink, then ask the barmen, "who's that in pink" ?

he shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly, "I haven’t a clue who she can be"

I’m heading back to my seat, her lovely perfume my nostrils meet,

I think he's twigged it, I saw him glance, our sly glances spoiling the chance,

he then heads her to the door, she gives that look, "what’s this for"?

my stomach sinks, we've lost our chance, a brief encounter has no romance.

Hi Jobee,

I noticed that you've taken a lot of trouble to post lots of poems, so I thought I'd take the trouble to reply to at least one of them.

I was drawn to this title as I liked the old black and white film of the same name with Trevor Howard and ... er, can't remember her name - Celia something?

I enjoyed reading your poem, though I was a little concerned about the predatory nature of the key character. I thought his tactics of sneeking a glance at the lady in pink when the other bloke's back was turned was a bit out of order. I actually pictured the couple dancing, and the man sneeking a glance each time the lady turned towards him. Not very honourable behaviour, in my opinion.

He would be better off trying to meet someone on an internet dating site, at least then he can be sure she's available and doesn't run the risk of causing an unpleasant scene in the bar. I have seen brawls start over much less than someone flirting with someone else's wife or girlfriend. Also, on the internet you get to see a picture and can find out quite a lot about someone before meeting up. I do appreciate though that some regard this route as a bit cold and would rather judge someone on instant attraction and "chemistry".

However, from my personal experience I would have to add that I have met someone through the internet and I believe we also have a very strong chemistry. To begin with, we discovered through the internet that the film "Brief Encounter" was a film we both liked, and we discovered lots of other things we both liked. We actually chatted for about 6 weeks on the internet before meeting, partly because we lived a long way apart. Then when we first met, (in Peterborough, actually, because it was half way between Sheffield and Norwich) we found that there was also a strong chemistry. "Great", I thought. And indeed it still is great and you'll be glad to hear that things are going well between us. Of course as always there are swings and roundabouts when falling in love, and on the downside I did find it hard to make time for writing stories, which was a shame. However, now I am making a big effort to do that again as I really enjoy it.

I am well behind with the monthly themes - my current story probably fits best with "suspense" which was the theme several months ago I think. It started off as a happy tale about a picnic, as I promised Shoeshine I would write a happy story for a change, but I found I just couldn't do it and it is now looking quite sinister. Sorry Shoeshine. The exercise also made me wonder if it is actually possible to write a purely happy story, where everything goes well, that people will want to read. What do you think jobee? In any case, I hope you will read it, though please do not think just because I have read your short poem you must read my much longer short story. There would be no robbery, in my mind, if you couldn't be bothered to read it.

Getting back to the poem, I don't mind the rhyming nature of your poem. Sometimes poets can get carried away and disappear up their own bottoms and I don't think you are in danger of that yet. However, there are also poems I enjoy that don't rhyme. My favourite poems have been ones by a forum member called Scotty. They are quite arty yet accessible in my opinion. He doesn't seem to be around much now but I'd suggest you search out some of his poems in this forum and have a read.

So although I'm sure there are many ways you can improve and develop your poetry, I'd like to just repeat that I enjoyed your poem "Brief Encounter" and am still thinking about the scene in the bar. And although the chap's imagined romance didn't materialise, I'm confident that he will eventually realise that the internet, or even speed dating, might provide better opportunities.

Thanks,

Ron

Hi Jobee,

I noticed that you've taken a lot of trouble to post lots of poems, so I thought I'd take the trouble to reply to at least one of them.

I was drawn to this title as I liked the old black and white film of the same name with Trevor Howard and ... er, can't remember her name - Celia something?

I enjoyed reading your poem, though I was a little concerned about the predatory nature of the key character. I thought his tactics of sneeking a glance at the lady in pink when the other bloke's back was turned was a bit out of order. I actually pictured the couple dancing, and the man sneeking a glance each time the lady turned towards him. Not very honourable behaviour, in my opinion.

He would be better off trying to meet someone on an internet dating site, at least then he can be sure she's available and doesn't run the risk of causing an unpleasant scene in the bar. I have seen brawls start over much less than someone flirting with someone else's wife or girlfriend. Also, on the internet you get to see a picture and can find out quite a lot about someone before meeting up. I do appreciate though that some regard this route as a bit cold and would rather judge someone on instant attraction and "chemistry".

However, from my personal experience I would have to add that I have met someone through the internet and I believe we also have a very strong chemistry. To begin with, we discovered through the internet that the film "Brief Encounter" was a film we both liked, and we discovered lots of other things we both liked. We actually chatted for about 6 weeks on the internet before meeting, partly because we lived a long way apart. Then when we first met, (in Peterborough, actually, because it was half way between Sheffield and Norwich) we found that there was also a strong chemistry. "Great", I thought. And indeed it still is great and you'll be glad to hear that things are going well between us. Of course as always there are swings and roundabouts when falling in love, and on the downside I did find it hard to make time for writing stories, which was a shame. However, now I am making a big effort to do that again as I really enjoy it.

I am well behind with the monthly themes - my current story probably fits best with "suspense" which was the theme several months ago I think. It started off as a happy tale about a picnic, as I promised Shoeshine I would write a happy story for a change, but I found I just couldn't do it and it is now looking quite sinister. Sorry Shoeshine. The exercise also made me wonder if it is actually possible to write a purely happy story, where everything goes well, that people will want to read. What do you think jobee? In any case, I hope you will read it, though please do not think just because I have read your short poem you must read my much longer short story. There would be no robbery, in my mind, if you couldn't be bothered to read it.

Getting back to the poem, I don't mind the rhyming nature of your poem. Sometimes poets can get carried away and disappear up their own bottoms and I don't think you are in danger of that yet. However, there are also poems I enjoy that don't rhyme. My favourite poems have been ones by a forum member called Scotty. They are quite arty yet accessible in my opinion. He doesn't seem to be around much now but I'd suggest you search out some of his poems in this forum and have a read.

So although I'm sure there are many ways you can improve and develop your poetry, I'd like to just repeat that I enjoyed your poem "Brief Encounter" and am still thinking about the scene in the bar. And although the chap's imagined romance didn't materialise, I'm confident that he will eventually realise that the internet, or even speed dating, might provide better opportunities.

Thanks,

Ron

Hello Ron, the incident happend in 1972 in the Jaguar Pub Coventry.

It was the night Bobby Arthur[Coventry]took the British welterweight boxing

title off John Stracey on a disqualification in the first round.

I had never seen her before , or her boyfriend.

There was sexual magnetism as soon as we saw each other.

I never saw her again or her boy friend. jobee

Hi Jobee,

Thanks,

Ron

The chap was me, it was a long time ago.jobee

The chap was me, it was a long time ago.jobee

Ah, well please accept my apologies for implying that you used underhand or dishonourable tactics in flirting with the woman. On second thoughts, perhaps all is fair in love and war.

I have, on occasions, approached a lady believing there to be an irresistable animal magnetism only to experience the following dialogue:

Me: "Hello, do you mind if I join you?"

Lady: "eh? No it's all right"

At which point the lady would invariably discover something of monumental interest in the bottom of her glass that would require serious inspection for the extent of my presence near her.

I hope you don't mind me asking, jobee, but has romance blossomed since then? Did furtive glances across crowded rooms prove fruitful? Or did romantic poetry become your preferred weapon? It's very popular with the ladies I hear!

Ah, well please accept my apologies for implying that you used underhand or dishonourable tactics in flirting with the woman. On second thoughts, perhaps all is fair in love and war.

I have, on occasions, approached a lady believing there to be an irresistable animal magnetism only to experience the following dialogue:

Me: "Hello, do you mind if I join you?"

Lady: "eh? No it's all right"

At which point the lady would invariably discover something of monumental interest in the bottom of her glass that would require serious inspection for the extent of my presence near her.

I hope you don't mind me asking, jobee, but has romance blossomed since then? Did furtive glances across crowded rooms prove fruitful? Or did romantic poetry become your preferred weapon? It's very popular with the ladies I hear!

My wife died, I dont wish to say anymore about my private life.

Thank you for your comments, John.

Archived