Did the Porter flood?

During the flooding, during summer 2007, I remember the flooding down the Don valley, and Malin Bridge etc (at the time I was travelling into the city from the North), but I didn't hear anything about the Porter. I'm thinking of the built up areas after Hunters Bar, not the park area before.

Some of the river after Hunters Bar is quite narrow, and I was wondering if any adjacent property was affected?

I don't recall any premises being flooded, though it was a close thing. I think the alms houses at Hunters Bar might have been affected if anywhere. The river there is fairly open, whereas further downstream it's quite deeply culverted. Someone did post some photos of the Porter at the time.Further up through the parks there was quite a bit of damage, tarmac paths having chunks of the surface lifted and dumped downstream, bank collapses in a few places. The fact the river flooded the park probably eased the problem further down. If it had been culverted all the way I suspect it would have been a different story.

Archived