Anyone heard of a Gerald mullen

berk

He wasn't in the same league as the likes of Denis Hobson, Ray Morgan and Danny Shenton who were very hard but also very fair, not a bully amongst them.

I remember Gerald Mullen picking on the Nursery Tavern's self appointed hardman in the 70's, he didn't back down but Gerald did. He always had a small drunken guy with him, I mean drunk 24/7, I think that he was Scottish to.

One night in the Crown on London Rd, i was getting served at the side of Gerald, and his cronies at the bar. As the barmaid placed the poured drinks onto the bar, suddenly Gerald picks up one of my drinks and starts drinking it, at this point shall i say something, or just but another?

I was sweating, then plucks up the courage to tell him (young and stupid then), he just turned and looked at me, for what seemed like an eternity, 'naa problem lad, you can have mine, and ordered me another drink', what a relief, i thought i was going to be decked any second!, but with respect to the guy he did buy me another drink, what could have been a ganuine mistake.

About a couple of weeks later was the incident in the Montgomery Hotel .

I suppose the mans reputation went before him, and can remember him going in the Crown, and Tramway, the last time i saw him was one Christmas Day Dinnertime some time ago, in the Ball Inn.

• 1 month later...