Are people born in the 1950s a privileged generation?

Which was the best decade to be born  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best decade to be born

• before 1910.
    • 1910-1920
    • 1920-1930
    • 1930-1940
    • 1940-1950
    • 1950-1960
    • 1960-1970
    • 1970-1980
    • 1980-1990
    • 1990-2000
    • 2000-2010
    • I would rather be born sometime in the future
    • I would have liked to be a caveman
    • The Middleages look good to me
    • Poverty in the Industrial Revolution has a certain appeal

I tell other people not to use anecdotes as proof, but I find it difficult to make these figures match my own experience.

As I said, I know plenty of people around the age of 30, some graduates, some didn't even do A levels. And I don't know a single person with a debt problem (not saying I don't know some with debt).

Perhaps we just don't mix with the right kind of people. I don't know anyone that has that sort of debt either, but that doesn't mean the stats are wrong. They come from reputable sorces and are inline with those mentioned on the Beeb.

I live in a very nice neighbourhood with expensive houses. A couple of those are now reposessions and up for sale.

Comparing material wealth is obviously more complex than it might appear at first sight ! People in 2008 have, without doubt, more possessions than those in 1958, for example. However, when the question of debt is taken into account, we could say, that a lot of people don 't actually own a lot of what is termed their possessions but merely have the use of such things.

Having the use of a house until it 's fully paid for is not the same as owning it, as many are finding out at this moment ! Again, the question, surely, is not just about wealth but the total quality of life. Apart from anecdotal evidence, we could compare the ' How Happy & Content ' - type polls of 50 years ago with those of today and also, for instance, the number of people wanting to get out or actually emigrating ; again, a complex comparison. !

In general, I would still maintain that, overall, people were more content and happier in the ' 50 's and 60 's than at probably any other time in U.K. history------or certainly since 1918. This was certainly not all down to material increase but that did play a part in it of course-----more foreign holidays, more household goods, more universities, a more relaxed attitude to private life-styles, bringing down the voting age------people were actually been GIVEN more freedom, it seemed at the time !

Now, however one interprets the material gains we have today, people seem to be more unhappy with their quality of life. Is it the endless government rules & laws ? Is it the state of our street life ? Is it the cultural vulgarity and dumbing down ? The state of our schools and hospitals despite the huge spending increases on health and education ? A feeling of being watched & checked all the time and paying to be watched and checked through almost the highest taxes in the world ? Local communities changing too quickly via mass, uncontrolled immigration ? When people are asked, all these problems get mentioned.

Which problems have the worst impact on our life-style ? Well, pick any 3 from 6 and discuss, as they say on the exam papers.

Comparing material wealth is obviously more complex than it might appear at first sight ! People in 2008 have, without doubt, more possessions than those in 1958, for example. However, when the question of debt is taken into account, we could say, that a lot of people don 't actually own a lot of what is termed their possessions but merely have the use of such things.

Having the use of a house until it 's fully paid for is not the same as owning it, as many are finding out at this moment ! Again, the question, surely, is not just about wealth but the total quality of life. Apart from anecdotal evidence, we could compare the ' How Happy & Content ' - type polls of 50 years ago with those of today and also, for instance, the number of people wanting to get out or actually emigrating ; again, a complex comparison. !

In general, I would still maintain that, overall, people were more content and happier in the ' 50 's and 60 's than at probably any other time in U.K. history------or certainly since 1918. This was certainly not all down to material increase but that did play a part in it of course-----more foreign holidays, more household goods, more universities, a more relaxed attitude to private life-styles, bringing down the voting age------people were actually been GIVEN more freedom, it seemed at the time !

Now, however one interprets the material gains we have today, people seem to be more unhappy with their quality of life. Is it the endless government rules & laws ? Is it the state of our street life ? Is it the cultural vulgarity and dumbing down ? The state of our schools and hospitals despite the huge spending increases on health and education ? A feeling of being watched & checked all the time and paying to be watched and checked through almost the highest taxes in the world ? Local communities changing too quickly via mass, uncontrolled immigration ? When people are asked, all these problems get mentioned.

Which problems have the worst impact on our life-style ? Well, pick any 3 from 6 and discuss, as they say on the exam papers.

I agree with everything in your posting. However as the question is was it a privilige to be born in the 1950 there is one point that I would make.

Being born in the 50s as opposed to having to live the lifestyle of the 50s are entirely different things.

The point is people born in the 50s spent their teens in the 60 and have been able to enjoy the material world we have now, without too much concern about global resourses.

This is all changing and people who are in their youth will have to contend with the aftermath of the recession at a time when they are having to pay mortgages, tuition fees and credit card bills. They will then have to live with global warming, rogue states that might be armed with nukes, and energy supplies from (Russia???)

• 1 year later...

It would appear so, there was an interesting article in the Guardian the other day;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/aug/22/baby-boomers-legacy-60-hutton

One of the comments is priceless;

Typical boomer. Why don't you just glue your eyes to your navel, you'd have less far to look.

Your generation took all the wealth and invested it in property so that your children have no chance of owning their own home.

Your generation voted in three decades of neo-liberal idiots who systematically asset stripped the country to enrich their own.

Your generation have never let us forget how special and priviliged you are, and how the 60s was culturaly far superior than anything that came before or since.

In short, you are a generation of spoiled, whining brats. I'd take one single hoody ASBO yoof over any number of you idiots. The sooner you're all gone the sooner the rest of us can get on with fixing the <REMOVED> that you left behind.

Archived