Phillimore Road School, Darnall

Gladys

I lived on Uttley Street were you on Fitzmarice ?? don't know how to spell it,I now Jimmy sorsby ,Carol and Albert

I used to live on the corner of Coleford road, Coleford place, the shop on the corner was my Grandfather and mothers place.

Dave

• 4 months later...

I went to Phillimore Road Infants and Junior School,I started there in 1940 before the war really got going.My first class teacher was a woman called Mrs Bailey,she was the Infant Reception Teacher.The school closed for a time inorder for them to build air-raid shelters in the school grounds.The children received lessons in different private homes whilst the shelters were being built.I went to a house in Palmer Road for my lessons.On our return to school there were frequent mock air-raid practises in which the children were required to go into the shelters sit on the wooden forms that extended down each side of the shelters until the air-raid was over.To settle the children down once they were seated on the benches in the shelters each child was given a sweet from a large tin that the teacher carried with her.The trips into the shelters was something to look forward to.Again at this time a balloon site was erected on waste land just outside the school to try and prevent enemy aircraft from bombing the area.My mother and her sisters attended this school when it was first built.

• 1 year later...

I went to phillimore around 1966,I lived on march street Mr Edwards head teacher Mrs Hargreaves,Mrs Parkin, Mr faulkner, Mr Arnald, Mrs Mathewman. and my husband went there aswell he came of coleridge road, my cousin at bottom of fitzmaurice road near cafe.

we no listers, sorby's, bates, grayson, coopers, stevens and loads more.

• 1 month later...