I need a real country pub !!!

Kashul

The Strines is lovely! We've eaten there a number of times and I particularly like the bar on the left with the big wooden tables and settles. The wine is decent and not over-priced and you can always have a pint of real ale with your food if you prefer.

You're not plagued by loud, intrusive music and the food is wholesome and served hot. I can't think why anyone would call it a dump.

I have a friend coming tomorrow for one night, she is from new zeland and is staying in London.

She wants to go out to dinner tomorrow night to experiance a real old fashioned country pub with food....I would have taken her to Fox House a few years back but they have gone all gastro and posh and its lost its charm so dont go anymore.

Has anyone got any ideas ? Countryside a must and quaint charming...No gastro mes ups...

The Monsal Head would seem to tick all your boxes. The food is all freshly prepared. The steak and ale pie is superb. There again I haven't eaten anything bad there. It is right out in the country. It also serves some great beer.

Just make sure you get in the stable bar not the hotel.

I am a bit concerned about some of the recomendations on this thread. Without naming names some are very much chain pub food often from freezer to microwave. I wouldn't cross the road to eat in some let alone fly from NZ.

Incidentally the Coach & Horses near Dronfield does great food and beer. Landlady hales from Hawkes Bay. :thumbsup:

We had a lunch and three evening meals at the Old Pump in Barlow last week.

Really good food and just as imporant friendly staff.

Highly recommended.

The cafe nearby does lovely food to take away..meat pies,fruit pies,homemade cakes and does a great Full English breakfast and lunch.

The Gypsy Queen at Crystal Peaks is the absolute pits.

Crap food and surly female staff who look as if they couldn't care a ****.

I know the OP's friend has been and gone but the threads still going, so from our neck of the woods out to the nothwest of town you could try, the Castle at Bolsterstone, they've just won an award for their food, beer and service. Or the other Foxhouse on the B6106 towards Holmfirth the one that still does home cooked food. Or the Dog and Partridge on the A628

so from our neck of the woods out to the nothwest of town you could try, the Castle at Bolsterstone

I discovered this place via the Good Beer Guide c. 1992 and what a gem it turned out to be.

Their Stones (and I'm not traditionally a Stones fan) was the best I'd ever drunk and it was gravity fed - not your traditional dispensing method. It was so light yet full of taste it was a revelation.

Glad to hear the place getting the awards it obviously deserves.:thumbsup:

Fox House just in the peaks, :thumbsup: quality country pub...

Great if you want frozen crap and really bad service from a really poor chain more like!

I agree with The monsel Head, as long as your in the pub bit and not the massive hall which has no character.

The Bull Head at Foolow is also popular.

Strines is a nice pub, The food is pretty average though.

Archived