Sheffield Gay Scene... Is It Growing?

simba109

Is the sheffield gay scene starting to grow. are is it slowly dieing?

well a new gay pub opens on friday 28th october... Sancatuary (looks like it could be good) plent of money behined it

Afinatity stays open and is doing well it sesms (new chef takes on the kitchen from next week I here???)

Dempseys.. well does it ever slow down it always is packed when I passed by.

X-es same old there. Sleazy, Horny and full of fun... u know what I mean ;-)

Climax. Never ever lets us down! always busy. always Packed but always crap! good place to see those boys and girls u havent seen in ages!

Forum - gay friendly and a very nice space to chill

The Red House - very funky! open while 4am somenights(just off west street check out thier web site) very gay friendly

Proper Deli - gay friendly (nice food but its main stream. ) real nice food thou

taylor taylor- (stright run but a friendly to gays) Mens hair dressing

Oh Bronx Sauna- gay sauna open till9pm (mostley stright buiss men)

Ponds Fordge (gym/fitness) and the rest......

well a new gay pub opens on friday 28th october... Sancatuary (looks like it could be good) plent of money behined it

Afinatity stays open and is doing well it sesms (new chef takes on the kitchen from next week I here???)

Climax. Never ever lets us down! always busy. always Packed but always crap! good place to see those boys and girls u havent seen in ages!

The Red House - very funky! open while 4am somenights(just off west street check out thier web site) very gay friendly

Proper Deli - gay friendly (nice food but its main stream. ) real nice food thou

I dont think it is.

Sheffield is a liberal city.pretty much everyone knows a gay or lesbian person. Through Work, College, Family. This list is endless.

you have mentioned 5 places that have a night life and I could reel off 10 attempts that have been marketed to the gay people of Sheffield and failed.

After many of my teenage years hanging out on the gay scene Ive realised that the the more gaybars doesnt = better scene. It doesnt. Sheffield Scene needs to grow as a community. A fantastic example of this is Sheffield Pride that happened over the summer.

I find that you put a hairdresses and a deli down as your perseption that the gay scene as growing is stupid. As a gay person I have never found in the city centre my custom turned away because im gay.

The Sheffield Scene will only grow when we think about the whole community. Young, Old Gay or Lesbian. Not just how many bars there are or where a few gays seen working. We are everywhere!

I suppose my answer is no.

Well I have some comments on this post:

1) You missed out a few venues:

LIONS LAIR - is the premier city centre gay bar

ROEBUCK TAVERN - is a gay run regular bar that is very gay friendly so I consider it MIXED

IDENTITY BAR - in Attercliffe near XES and is an EXCLUSIVELY GAY MEMBERS club

ONCER A MONTH CLUB NIGHTs such as RAH RAH RAH at STARDUST, RAZOR STILETTO which is gay friendly, SPEED QUEEN nights at whats it called, TYRANNAs art and poerty performances e.g. at venues such as the Shakespeare, GALA and GLAM

The SHEFFIELD ART SCENE - is huige and very gay friendly e.g Cultural Quarter

EATING OUT - big deal I have often eaten out with my partner and not got looks usually

BLUE MOON - cafe beside sanctuary is gay friendly and nice art

THE QUARTER - will it re-open as gay?

THE CROWN INN - will it re-open as gay?

THE WIG and PEN - successul regular trendy bar very gay friendly

TAKAPUNA - once a month upstairs GAY COMEDY night and very gay friendly

Foe MORE INFO check out SPIDER PETEs very comprehensive web site - its in his posts I think ..

2) I cant believe ther SANCTUARY will re-open as gay only - its a huge bar always gets a lot of straight people in so best you can hope for is mixed - though when I walked past it closed on Sat it had this picture of a rather hunky X_FACTOR singer plastered all over the walls so maybe it WILL re-open as gay?

3) The RAD HOUSE - if you are referring to the one in SOLLY ST I always had that doen as a live music venue for off the wall interesting eclectic live arts - yes it is good but certainly not gay tho good its gay friendly

4) Why SHOULD sheffield feel the need to have exclusively gay ghetto quarter - good there are gay venus catering to different tastes BUT unlike other big cities Sheffield is a very laid back city that is ALWAYS gay friendly no matter WHERE you go from my experience of almost 10 years here and thats the way I like it ... :-)

Well I have some comments on this post:

1) You missed out a few venues:

LIONS LAIR - is the premier city centre gay bar

I fully agree!

The OP is a fairly poorly thought out statement. Carbs you are right, RE The Roebuck. What Taylor Taylor and the deli have to do with anything I am not sure, and as for the forum being gay friendly, it is no more gay friendly than anywhere else in town.

You obviously didnt do much research before this post, other have mentioned venues you mssed.

Forum as gay friendly :o:o, I go to a few pubs on Division Street and never noticed Forum as gay friendly, but then any pub is gay friendly if gay people walk into them.

Ponds Forge (gym/fitness) and the rest......

Not sure about this bit of the list, to be fair you could say every pub in Sheffield is gay friendly as gay people go to them all, but they are not "the scene".

Archived