Twelve O Clock Hotel Attercliffe

Dose anyone remember the name of the person who was found dead at the bottom of cellar stairs of pub on the morning of 13 april 1953

Hello,

I would check the Star archives. I lived not too far away and used to pass the 12 o'clock pub daily (1952-1962) on my way to work. I don't remember the incident .

In those days, a body found in strange place, like a pub cellar, would have been very big news (remember only radio in those days plus one Tv channel, if you were rich enought to own a set). Therefore, the Star would certainly have had something about it for days -perhaps even weeks -after.

For the ones who have forgotten. the pub was right on the corner where Attercliffe Road and Savile Street meet. Opposite the old T.W.Ward's office building

12 O'clock Street was a short street behind the pub that ran from Savile Street throught to Attercliffe Road. I have no idea where the name, 12 O'Clock, came from but somebody on the forum must know.

Regards

Hi falls, surely the name was derived from its position travelling from the Wicker ? or could it be the 12 o'clock rush from Firth Browns to get to the pub at lunchtime :hihi::hihi::hihi:

To add on to this, I have just found out it was the site of the tollbar on this route out of town.

On the morning of Sunday 13 April 53 I wassitting in the bedroom talking to my wife who had delivered a son on the previous day. my mother-in-law was preparing the pub for opening time and I heard her shouting for me from the cellar. Going down I found the body of a man at the foot of the steps. I could see that he was dead, so I led mother in law up the barrel loading steps into the back yard, that was the way she had gone down to see to the returns, then phoned the police who arrived quickly. They asked lots of questions and we were told that he was a mr Pinder, that he lived somewhere near Weedon Street and had been celebrating being released from prison on the Friday the police later told us that he had apparently been boozing with mates from getting off the train

On the morning of Sunday 13 April 53 I wassitting in the bedroom talking to my wife who had delivered a son on the previous day. my mother-in-law was preparing the pub for opening time and I heard her shouting for me from the cellar. Going down I found the body of a man at the foot of the steps. I could see that he was dead, so I led mother in law up the barrel loading steps into the back yard, that was the way she had gone down to see to the returns, then phoned the police who arrived quickly. They asked lots of questions and we were told that he was a mr Pinder, that he lived somewhere near Weedon Street and had been celebrating being released from prison on the Friday the police later told us that he had apparently been boozing with mates from getting off the train

Was this in the papers?