Twelve O Clock Hotel Attercliffe

Dont really know whether in the papers or not. On the tuesday following the incident a woman called in and told us she was the wife of the dead man. She was working as a cranedriver at English Steels. Mother in law, Violet, took her upstairs to living quarters . I dont know what transpired after that.

• 7 years later...

Hi just to let you know i lived at the Twelve o clock hotel from 1955 to 1956 and did not hear of anyone being found dead in cellar, i kept pigeons and ferrets in back yard, we was the last tenants before it was knocked down, i lived at the britannia hotel on worksop road before that and i was at school in them days Huntsman's Garden's, maybe they kept it from me after all its not nice thing for small lad to know, hope you find out soon, merry xmas to you and your regards Phil

Edited by PHIL-PIGEONS

Hi falls, surely the name was derived from its position travelling from the Wicker ? or could it be the 12 o'clock rush from Firth Browns to get to the pub at lunchtime :hihi::hihi::hihi:

To add on to this, I have just found out it was the site of the tollbar on this route out of town.

Firth-Brown's was quite a walk from there especially with a limited meal time. There were at least three other pubs nearer on Sutherland Street.

I was told it got its name from the style of water pump.A twelve o clock pump had a handle straight up,a 3 or 9 o clock was with the handle horizontal and a 6 o clock was with the handle pointing down.

Yes Kidorry, there seems to be some 'mystique' about that pub and it's name, also to this day further along Attercliffe Road from the old pub towards Greystocks Street, and yes, what was Twelve o'clock Street is 'Twelve o'clock Court'.

Yes Kidorry, there seems to be some 'mystique' about that pub and it's name, also to this day further along Attercliffe Road from the old pub towards Greystocks Street, and yes, what was Twelve o'clock Street is 'Twelve o'clock Court'.

I was born & lived a few doors down from the twelve o clock pub next to Tom Sweets scrap yard,8 court 6 Saville street.

• 1 month later...
Hi just to let you know i lived at the Twelve o clock hotel from 1955 to 1956 and did not hear of anyone being found dead in cellar, i kept pigeons and ferrets in back yard, we was the last tenants before it was knocked down, i lived at the britannia hotel on worksop road before that and i was at school in them days Huntsman's Garden's, maybe they kept it from me after all its not nice thing for small lad to know, hope you find out soon, merry xmas to you and your regards Phil

Hi Phil,

I am writing a book about Sheffield pubs. I assume that the pub shut in 1956 then? Do you have any pictures/ stories about the pub you could share? What were the name of your parents? pm or email sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

Cheers

Jamie

Never heard of the pub on attercliffe.......this will be a very interesting thread.....

It's still remembered by the name 12 o'clock Court.

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 07:16 ----------

Hi Phil,

I am writing a book about Sheffield pubs. I assume that the pub shut in 1956 then? Do you have any pictures/ stories about the pub you could share? What were the name of your parents? pm or email sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

Cheers

Jamie

I sent you an email early last week, no reply so I can only assume you can't be bothered.

I sent you an email early last week, no reply so I can only assume you can't be bothered.

Had the same stunt pulled on me so your not alone. Theirs already quite a few books about Sheffield pubs and the Twelve O'Clock pub is mentioned in them it used to be a corner building.

Hi Phil,

Sorry about that- let me check my messages and I'll get back to you...

Jamie

---------- Post added 16-02-2016 at 17:40 ----------

Crooked Spire/ lazarus I have pm'd you...