Broughton Family

Vaxine

Originally posted by Vaxine

Hi, I am currenly researching our family tree and wondered if anybody has any information on the family of Spence Broughton the highwayman whom Broughton Lane is named after?

Thanks

Hi there.

Unable to help with the family of him but he was mentioned in this thread Here I find it an interesting story.

Try the Sheffield Archives on Shoreham Street or the local studies section in Sheffield Library on Surrey Street. Very helpful people at both places.

Also, I seem to recall seeing a book in the main bookstores in town called the Sheffield Hanged or something similar. Haven't checked it out, but it might be worth a look.

They used to place the heads of convicts spiked on top of the wrote iron gates at the beginning of Broughton lane and put them on public display.

Sorry that peice of useless information won't help find your decendants though , unless it was one of there heads on display.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I believe I may also be a descendent of the (in)famous Spence Broughton. Certainly I know the Spence Broughton who became a surgeon in Leicester was my 4x great grandfather. He was born in Horbling, Lincolnshire in 1771 and his father (born 1744) could well have been the unfortunate who ended up in the gibbet. However, I've not been able to make the link yet. Do get in touch and we could share what we know.

• 6 years later...

I myself am I Broughton, being told by 3 family members that I was related to Spence Broughton. although my birth name was smith, after my father I later changed my name to Broughton, my mother for reasons I will not state. my name is Daniel Broughton, I am from Devon and was researching my family tree. if anyone has any information about his descendants, please tell me

Archived