Rocking Horse at school

Arfer Mo

I have just mentioned a rocking horse being in Broomhill School's infant class of 1929, it seemed enormous at that time, but it must have been about 4ft high, l could only just reach the saddle doe's any one recall this , and know where it got to finally ,unless it was Miss Adkins own property, Arthur Fearn.[ps she was a lovely lady]

I have just mentioned a rocking horse being in Broomhill School's infant class of 1929, it seemed enormous at that time, but it must have been about 4ft high, l could only just reach the saddle doe's any one recall this , and know where it got to finally ,unless it was Miss Adkins own property, Arthur Fearn.[ps she was a lovely lady]

Hi Arthur: I was at Broomhill Nursery School 1944/1945 and well remember that rocking horse - and yes it looked huge at the time. When you are that small, you practically needed a ladder to get on it but the teachers always made sure we got on properly.

Hi Poppins: You are right - the school I remember was a big old house and if you go to the thread "Schools in Walkley and Crookes" and scroll down, there is a link there to an old photo of the kids (of which I was one and in the photo) in the grounds. The Broomhill Infant School that is being used today is not the one I remember unless it has been completely modernised. Hope this is useful to you.

Not sure if it's the same school my Auntie worked as a cleaner, I spent a lot of time there...was it in a big old house with wall around it ? or maybe I'm thinking of a different one :huh:

Hi Poppins: You are right - the school I remember was a big old house and there is a link to a photo on the the thread "Schools in Walkley and Crookes" showing the children and teachers. I am in it as well. It shows the house in the background. Hope this useful to you. Have a great day.

Hi Poppins: You are right - the school I remember was a big old house and if you go to the thread "Schools in Walkley and Crookes" and scroll down, there is a link there to an old photo of the kids (of which I was one and in the photo) in the grounds. The Broomhill Infant School that is being used today is not the one I remember unless it has been completely modernised. Hope this is useful to you.

I'll take alook, I thought the school and the grounds were a bit scary myself, I use to play in the classrooms when every one had gone and my Auntie Lily was scrubbing those stairs, I even thought the teachers kitchen was strange, but the whole place was empty so thats probable why It seemed eerie. I always wondered what the family was like that once lived there, I bet the place was fantastic.

• 2 months later...

Archived