Cognitive behavioural therapy in Sheffield?

I was supposed to be referred to one of these

instead i have to see one in surgery

because the secondary trust says my case isnt bad enough

but i have bad depression and anxiety

i think its disgusting when you pay your taxes towards these

services and you cant use them?

im sure the one in your surgery will be just as good :thumbsup:

I was supposed to be referred to one of these

instead i have to see one in surgery

because the secondary trust says my case isnt bad enough

but i have bad depression and anxiety

i think its disgusting when you pay your taxes towards these

services and you cant use them?

Same here. I have to see a counseller first and she has to assess me and refer me to CBT. I've been waiting so long for even this to happen I've taken matters into my own hands and looking into self help. :rant::(

ive been suffering from panic attacks for around 6 months now. they can be really awful and soo scary. i went to the doctors and they gave me some propronol (cant spell?!) but i havent taken any yet as i really dont wanna be on tablets. i am thinking of doin CBT as i have heard its much better than popping a pill everyday. panic attacks are really horrible and very difficult for other ppl to understand, so good luck with everythin.

ive been suffering from panic attacks for around 6 months now. they can be really awful and soo scary. i went to the doctors and they gave me some propronol (cant spell?!) but i havent taken any yet as i really dont wanna be on tablets. i am thinking of doin CBT as i have heard its much better than popping a pill everyday. panic attacks are really horrible and very difficult for other ppl to understand, so good luck with everythin.

I had panic disorder for 5 years, between 1997-2002; I think CBT would have helped me immensely (from what I've been reading at least) as CBT helps you avoid the cascade of unhelpful thinking associated with panic attacks.

I also didn't like the idea of pill popping - the thing that finally cured me of panic disorder was group therapy which I got through my GP (approx 3 month waiting list at the time), it was at a NHS clinic in Hillsborough. Just talking to lots of fellow suffers and getting clear guidance from the counsellor really helped. Looking back, I also believe that many of the techniques used during group therapy had roots in CBT.

• 1 year later...

As I understand it almost every GP surgery now has an IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) worker based with them for part of the week, so it's worth asking about that. There are also IAPT workers based with various charities (including Manor & Castle Development Trust and Zest).

Here's a link to an article about it: http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/news/talking090409.php

• 10 months later...

Archived