Cognitive behavioural therapy in Sheffield?

Re-structuring your ideas about the world can be helpful, but in my experience anxiety and panic attacks are about deeper emotions. C.B.T aims to give a person "strategies" to "manage" these feelings but can become a counter productive repressive cycle. More repression can cause more anxiety which needs more "strategies" to control, rather than resolve the underlying emotional basis which is far more personal. I would suggest giving Person Centred counselling a look. The emotional process can be a very productive way of dealing once and for all with the causes rather than treating the symptoms.

• 1 year later...

Can I just say that Anxiety and depression can be a hidden problem for people with Thyroid problems . I know this from personal experience . It is just a thought and i am hoping your Gps have considered this . I know how overwhelming these symptoms can be .CBT will still be helpful until properly medicated.

I recently worked with a client who had previously had CBT for a different and unrelated issue. She highly recommended the Sheffield CBT practice she went to and said they were excellent at what they did and really helped her.

Obviously not asking you for any details about the client you saw but could you provide some more details please because it might help me decide if this is the organisation I should use. I've been waiting for a year to see someone on the NHS and am still waiting so need to get some help soon

Which of the therapists at the website you mention did your client see?

What was the main issue that was dealt with?

How long ago was this?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Bluedragonfly, we are new to Sheffield Forum and hopefully over the next few weeks with be trying to help people looking for information about how CBT can be helpful with a range of different issues. We would be happy to talk direct if needed :)

As I understand it almost every GP surgery now has an IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) worker based with them for part of the week, so it's worth asking about that. There are also IAPT workers based with various charities (including Manor & Castle Development Trust and Zest).

Here's a link to an article about it: http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/news/talking090409.php

IAPT is free and your GP should know how to refer you for it. It is likely to be more beneficial to you than self-help. Just ask.

Same here. I have to see a counseller first and she has to assess me and refer me to CBT. I've been waiting so long for even this to happen I've taken matters into my own hands and looking into self help. :rant::(

The person who will assess you at your GP practice is a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner, not a counsellor. PWP's offer 'Guided Self-help', but will refer you to either counselling or CBT depending on the severity of your difficulties, your past experience of therapy, and their judgement as to what will work best for you.

Archived