Would you work overtime for nothing?

Hey, i think i'm being made a mug! We got a new boss at work and he says that we shouldn't expect any extra money or time back if we do overtime. He says the reason that on the contract we sign it states that Extra time needed when and as the business needs it. I have checked this and it is correct, although in the staff handbook it states that all staff should do anymore than 3 extra hours per week if it is not their personal choice. We have been led to believe that even if we do an extra 20 hours a week then that is just the job, whatb would you do? Complain and risk no futher promotion? or just get on with it?

Do you work for a computer firm? :hihi:

I used to 'have to' do about 5-10 ours unpaid overtime every week at my old place. "big thankyous don't buy pints" was our motto. Got on with it giving them benefit of the doubt for a while but after a few months the exploitation was obvious Although I spotted the issue and asked for a raise, they called my bluff so I went to somewhere I'm much happier, do less hours and I'm on 4x the pay! suckers.

I think it depends if you're in the sort of job where flexibility is part of the package. As a medical rep long hours were expected and we were salaried so there was no such thing as overtime.

My contract stated '8.30-5.30 plus whatever extra time may be necessary for the proper completion of duties' which usually included 3 evenings a week and Saturday mornings for paperwork. Everyone accepted that this was what was expected- is there a reason why this might apply in your job or are they just taking everyone for what they can get?

Hell no... my time is worth money.. What your boss is trying to do is save cash by making all of his current staff work harder for free so he doesn't have to hire anyone else.

Personally I would stand my ground, if he values you as an employee then he'll pay you for your time. If not then you are better off somewhere else anyway!!

That said, I don't know what your contact says. If it's written into it that you must put in unpaid hours for the completion of projects you may be stuck. Have you thought about seeking proffesional advice? Someone involved in HR perhaps...

Archived