Exhaust modification needed

Hi

I have a water pump that I need to operate inside the back of a panel van permanently. The pump is powered by a Honda GX160 engine – similar to the ones that you’ll sometimes find on a go kart.

So that I don’t die from CO poisoning, I’d like to divert the exhaust to the outside of the van.

The current exhaust looks like the one in this link:

http://www.gx160parts.co.uk/exhaust.htm

To give you an idea of the size, the diameter of the outlet on the side of the muffler/silencer is exactly the same size as 22mm copper pipe.

I have looked extensively (and failed) to see if there is an ‘off the shelf’ modification to the exhaust to allow me to extend the pipework. I have therefore come to the conclusion that I am either going to have to extend the current outlet of the muffler by getting someone to weld to it or to cut off the existing muffler, extend that pipework and then fit an in-line muffler and some further pipework to terminate outside the van.

Can anyone tell me whether this type of job would be one that a bog-standard garage would be able to do? If so, any recommendations in Sheffield? I don’t need a performance exhaust – which is all I seem to find when I search on Google.

Thanks in advance.

G

Make sure whoever you go to uses an expansion/flexi joint to account for the contraction and expansion that will occur when the engine is running full tilt, sat doing nothing, and everything in between.

If you know a good mobile welder, you can buy the bits of pipe (and flexi joints) you need from various online suppliers then get your welder to fix it all together. Let me know if you get stuck finding a part supplier and I'll find out where my mate gets his stuff from. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your advice.

I went to the local garage to see if they could weld to the existing silencer – no go; apparently the metal is too thin. I therefore went to Hawleys to see if they could create a custom exhaust – the minimum bore that they work to is 1 ¾ inch (or something) – the bore from the ‘downpipe’ (it points up though) is 1” on my engine and the outlet from the silencer/muffler is 20mm.

I have managed to find a custom made silencer with downpipe and a tail piece to connect to – one problem; it is on one of those ‘Made in China’ websites and they generally have a minimum unit order of 50 or a hundred. I have e-mailed them though to see if they’d supply me with a one-off.

So, assuming that I cannot get the piece from China, I have one or two options. That is to put a 20mm O/D piece of steel tubing into the outlet of the current silencer. Then get someone to weld a ‘reducer’ to make the end of this piece of tube have an outside diameter of 25mm. I can then take some flexible exhaust hose off this bit.

First question. Living in Sheffield you would think finding tubing in various diameters would be easy. I can get 19mm or 22mm but have not been able to find 20mm. I did find a pipe sleeve manufacturer based in Germany – but they would not supply me with less than 150 units. Does anyone know of any tubing manufacturers or suppliers in Sheffield? I am after literally a six inch length.

If all else fails, I was thinking of using a 20mm holesaw and cutting the end off. Only problem is the walls of a holesaw are quite thick and I don’t want to restrict then exhaust flow more than needed.

Cheers

G

Woohoo, found some 20mm tube where I’m not going to be charged an extortionate price – in fact a grand total of less than £6 for three quarters of a metre. The tube is made out of aluminium though – I would have preferred steel. Never mind, can’t have it all.

Some one PM’d me saying he had a mate who was a top welder, I’ll be in contact with you shortly once I’ve got the tube plus flexible exhaust to see if your mate can weld to it. I need the outside diameter increasing on one end to 25mm so that I can clamp a 25mm flexible steel hose to it. The aluminium tube has a 1.5mm wall.

Again, thanks for all the advice so far.

G

• 1 year later...

Archived