Can anyone tell me where the Electoral Rolls for Woodhouse are kept

PopT

I am trying to trace my family between 1881 and 1891 in Woodhouse.

I know they moved from West Bromwich between these years but cannot locate the Electoral rolls for these years.

Can anyone tell me where they are?

They are not in the Local History Library, Wakefield, Huddersfield and Barnsley.

Help appreciated or any advice on tracing resettlement, was there a resettlement policy in these years?

Thanks Retep-I also was told by the Local History Library they were there.

I spent 3 hours at the Wakefield Archives on Monday and couldn't find anything about Woodhouse, the staff there told me they didn't have them.

Thanks Duffems, I'll retrace my steps and try Handsworth.

Happy days! PopT

Further to my earlier posting I have been in contact with the Sheffield Archives and they are going to let me know where the Woodhouse Electoral Rolls and Rating lists are kept.

They initially told me to go to Wakefield???

I will keep you informed of any developments so that other Family History researchers do not have the same trouble.

Happy Days! PopT

Can you not locate them on the Censuses for 1881 & 1891 PopT?

Woodhouse was part of the parish of Handsworth...I would check with Local Studies on Surrey St for electoral registers as electoral boundaries are not the same as Ecclesiatical boundaries...although Handsworth-Woodhouse records should be at the Library.

Regards,

Duffems

Hi everybody I'm new to the forum. Hope you don't me saying Woodhouse, Hackenthorpe and Mosborough were part of Derbyshire until the late 50's maybe that could help with your search hope this piece of info helps.

Regards

Chewnip

Another Communique about the location of the saga of the Electoral Rolls for Woodhouse.

The Sheffield Archives rang me back and inform me they are definitely at the Wakefield archives and are listed as Handsworth and later dates as Hallam.

So I will be contacting Wakefield before I set off again.

Duffems I have them on the 1881 Census in West Bromwich and in Woodhouse on the 1891 Census so I know they moved between these dates.

Thanks to everyone for their interest in helping me, I'll certainly help other forummers when I can, your a great crowd.

Watch this space for further bulletins.

Happy Days! PopT

Hi Pop T.

I know this doesn't help with were the records are kept...but these are some notes I made sometime ago.

After 1880 the arrangement of the voters registers changed. Streets were arranged in polling districts within wards hence it is necessary to know the address of the person you are looking for otherwise the search can be a very long winded affair.

The registers for large towns are divided into areas known as electoral wards and you'll need to know the street where your ancestor lived before using the register. Be aware that there are no surname indexes for Electoral registers.

At different times since 1832, the right to vote has been restricted by age, sex and social class. Check the front page of each register to find out who could vote at that time.

Woodhouse, Hackenthorpe and Mosborough were part of Derbyshire

Hi Chewnip.

You are correct regarding Beighton and Hackenthorpe which was a hamlet in the parish of Beighton...but Woodhouse has always been in Yorkshire.

Woodhouse was in the ecclesiastical parish of Handsworth until 1875 when it was declared an ecclesiastical district and became a seperate parish created from Handsworth. St James church was built in 1878 and before the church was built services were held in the Endowed School. The church was built on the site of Handsworth tithe barn on land donated by Thomas Cadman.

Tuppie

Archived