Bamforths of Chapeltown, family tree

Redfyre

Anybody called Bamforth or Hague doing family tree and come across a William Bamforth (1854-Nov 1928) and Eliza (Emma) Hague (1859-March 1927) from Chapeltown? William Bamforth, I believe, originated from Elsecar, and was a coal miner; while Eliza came from Ecclesfield, and it is possible that her mother was a Pashley.

William and Eliza's family included Frank Bamforth (1878), John William Bamforth (1885), Sarah Ann Bamforth (b 1880), Mary Ellen Bamforth (1882) and Bob Bamforth. One of the Bamforths, I think it ws Frank, lived just off Attercliffe Common in the 1940s-1950s, and his wife was called Polly.

At one stage William and Eliza and their family lived at an address shown in the 1881 census as Porters Houses, Lane End "Ecclesfield" (could that be Chapeltown?).

Thanks Duffems. The William Bamforth I am researching was married to Eliza Hague, and I suspect they married in the Ecclesfield/Chapeltown area. William originated at Elsecar, while Eliza is listed as having been born at Ecclesfield, probably in 1859.

I've sent you a pm. I've located the family on the 1891 census, William is from Hoyland and Eliza from Ecclesfield.

1891 England Census

about William Bamforth

Name: William Bamforth

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855

Relation: Head

Spouse's Name: Eliza

Where born: Hoyland, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Ecclesfield

Ecclesiastical parish: Chapeltown

Town: Chapeltown

County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address:Church Houses, Cowley Lane

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Wortley

Sub registration district: Ecclesfield

ED, institution, or vessel: 9

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age

Baby Bamforth 1 week

Eliza Bamforth 33

Frank Bamforth 13

Harry Bamforth 2

John W Bamforth 6

Mary E Bamforth 8

Sarah A Bamforth 11

William Bamforth 36

Annie E Pashley 4/12

Sarah Pashley 17

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 3788; Folio 76; Page 32; GSU roll: 6098898.

Duffems.

Thanks Duffems, that is a great help. I have also found that the family had moved to Attercliffe (Kirkbridge Road) by the time of the 1901 census, when it seems that Mary Ellen and Sarah Ann had left and presumably gone into service. I know that Mary Ellen, who was my grandmother, married my grandfather, Charles Jackson, in 1905.

Do you know at what point in the year the census was taken in 1891 --would it be June 1st? I believe there is a traditional date in every census year.

Incidentally, William Bamforth being a miner, I am assuming thathe moved from Chapeltown to work at the Tinsley Park Colliery, which was not far from their new home; and it occurs to me that he may have left Chapeltown as a consequence of the Thorncliffe Colliery riots of the early 1890s. (The next thing I shall have to start researching is the history of the Thorncliffe Coal Riots!).

The help I have had from you, and from others, proves that the folk who use Sheffield Forum are a great lot!

I have several Bamforths and Hague's scattered about within my tree. Elizabeth Bamforth born 1796 wath upon dearne married Henry Cooke in 1832. Brother John Bamforth parents William and Mary.

Not got all the Hague details to hand let me know if you want more info. Most of mine come from Thorpe Hesley and Ecclesfield.

I have had some terrific success with the Bamforth research, thanks to friends on this site, and especially Duffems, but I would like to throw up another aspect of the Bamforths of Chapeltown family that is interesting --and someone with some show business knowledge or interest may find it intriguing.

One of the sons of William and Eliza Bamforth was GEORGE BAMFORTH. born in 1891. He married a lady called ELIZABETH CROOKES and they lived at Piece End, Chapeltown. Later George served in India as a regular soldier, and when he came back home the family lived at High Green. Subsequently they loved to London. This was a move (in the 1930s?) that was, I think, inspired by the success their daughter JEANNE BAMFORTH enjoyed as a dancer. She went onto the professional stage, though I don't know whether she used a stage name. All I know is that she eventually married and had two sons, Timothy and Simon, Alas, I do not know what Jean's married name was, so I don't know the surnames of the sons. Whether either of them followed Jean into show business I don't know. It has been suggested to me that Jean married someone called Lester, but this is a guess.

It is probably too much to hope there will still be people in the High Green area who remember the former soldier George Bamforth and his talented daughter Jean.

But, then, you never know!

As a footnote to my earlier post, I have just learned that there is a Jean Bamforth School of Dancing in Ashford, Middlesex. It has been established 65 years, which could make it logical for it to have a link with the Chapeltown born dancer Jean Bamforth, who moved to London some years before the last war.

Archived