Bamforths of Chapeltown, family tree

Redfyre

Jean Bamforth, the daughter of George Bamforth and Elizabeth Crookes, was, as I have said, a very talented dancer, and went into variety, appearing alongside many leading stars of the 40s and 50s. Indeed, only yesterday I came across a note that revealed a programme for a London Palladium show in July 1939 had been sold on e-bay --and the acts on the programme were Arthur Askey, Tommy Trinder, Ernest Wise and Jean Bamforth.

Does anyone know of any site, or work of reference, which lists old variety acts and gives biographical details?

After she finished her stage career, I believe that Jean Bamforth opened a dancing school or a number of schools. I have found just one bearing Jean's name, at Ashford in Middlesex, but letters seeking info sent to the address given have not be answered, and the phone number does not appear to exist.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now made contract with Jean Bamforth, and she is living in East Anglia. It turns out that there was no link with the Jean Bamforth School of Dancing in Ashford, Middlesex --that was just a coincidence. But a note in a local paper in AShford led to a response that pointed me in the right direction. It pays to be persistent!

Ten out of ten for perseverance! :thumbsup:

Hugh

Mind you, Hugh, I'm still struggling on the Pashley link to the Chapeltown Bamforths. Everyone I have spoken to who has Bamforth links says "Yes, the name Pashley rings a bell, but..." And that's as far as it goes. However, I'll keep trying, and one of these days something will turn up!

• 3 weeks later...

In speaking to Jean Bamforth about her early years, she was born at High Green and she and her parents later lived at Firvale in Sheffield before they went to London after she was "discovered" by Jack Hylton. She appeared at the Palladium in 1939 with another youngster called Ernie Wise, and, intriguingly, later she was in an act billed as "Morecamble, Bamforth & Wise"!

Jean, who now lives in East Anglia and is in her 84th year, tells me that she thinks her father (though it may have been her mother) had some relatives in High Green called Durant --Fanny, Minnie and Bob Durant. Do those names ring a bell with anyone?

Yes, that does ring a bell, and, if it was so, no doubt there is someone out there who knows something of the DURANT family, and whether there is anyone of that name still around in High Green.

By the way, I think Jean Bamforth lived at 84 South Road, High Green, as a young girl. The family later lived at Firshill House in the Pitsmoor area before moving to London.

Another point of interest is that the Bentley Sisters mentioned in an earlier thread were not a duo but a trio.

Link between the Bamforths and the Durants:

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page

Marriages Sep 1902

Bamforth Edith Hannah Sheffield 9c 938

Biggadike Alfred Sheffield 9c 938

Bliss Mary Ann Sheffield 9c 938

Durant Thomas William B Sheffield 9c 938

Regards,

Duffems

Archived