Does anyone remember Bluebell Wood?

ttourtell

Just a reminder for our ex-pats!:)

Thanks for posting the link to the photos of the bluebells - awesome! Isn't it amazing the things that we remember from our childhoods? There are just some things you don't forget. Those bluebells are one of them. Have a great day.

I went to Mylnhurst school before, as a boy, I became too old and was thrown out and every year we had a couple of trips to the bluebell woods behind the school. Strange to say, it was always a nice warm day and one that has never been forgotten or equaled any where I have been since.

I think there were many bluebell woods in Sheffield in our day - now buried under progress.

Just a reminder for our ex-pats!:)

Beautiful, algy. Takes me bk to my childhood. I don't know the bluebell woods but I used to live near Smelter Wood, which used to be a fair sized strip of woodland between Handsworth and Stradbroke. There were lots of bluebells in there. I think most of those woods has gone now?

I went to Mylnhurst school before, as a boy, I became too old and was thrown out and every year we had a couple of trips to the bluebell woods behind the school. Strange to say, it was always a nice warm day and one that has never been forgotten or equaled any where I have been since.

I think there were many bluebell woods in Sheffield in our day - now buried under progress.

Hi there Redneck: Well I'll go to the back of our stairs!! Fancy meeting you here. I agree with you - the Sheffield bluebells always bloomed when it was warm and sunny and such a joy to see them. That image never leaves your mind. Where in Georgia are you? I live in Valdosta. Have a great day.

The smell of Bluebells has to be my favourite, on a warm spring evening the fragrance is quite intoxicating.

Do you also remember the Ramsons (Allium ursinum) growing in Wooley Wood - near where the stream crossed the main path at the Shiregreen end?

They have white flowers and reek of garlic. We used to call them "stinking nannies". They flowered about the same time as the Bluebells. - of course that was around 1960, I haven't been there since!

And now wild garlic is a favourite of the top chefs in the expensive London restaurants!

• 2 months later...

I remeber woolley woods and going for picnics and picking armfuls of bluebells, we used to take a picnic and our dog always used to come with us, he used to get scared of the noise from shardlows, a big booming sound and run home, we have always called the road at the bottom of the woods, "woolley woods bottom"!

I lived on Butterthwaite Road in Shiregreen from around

1957 to 1965. I well remember the bluebells in Woolly Woods. We used to take home bunches of them, which didn't please Dad, as he was allergic to them. We had a view of Basket Bridge from our back garden and used to walk down the "gennel" at the end of our road into the village of Ecclesfield.

I went to City Grammar school at the time and my two younger sisters went to Beck Road school. My maiden name was Hazel May and my sisters were Heather and Sylvia. I wonder if anyone remembers us.

I married in 1965 and lived in Sheffield for several more years before emigrating to Canada in 1974. I live in London, Ontario, about two hours drive from Toronto.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I remember Concord Park. Also we used to have little picnis in Ecclesfield Park in the village and actually get to paddle in the pool there. Is any of it still there? We also used to play on the bandstand.
eyup, the paddling pool was filled in about 8yr ago its now a mini basketball/5 a side enclosed paddock the bandstand still remains, do you remember the fountain? thats been re-sited outside st marys church

Archived