Schools in Crookes and Walkley

ttourtell

Hi, just a bit of added info'= my aunt Floss Smith was a teacher at St Marys , South Road school.

I went to St Marys in the 1960s and had a teacher called Mrs Smith. She and Mrs Davidson seemed to take us alternate years as we moved through the school! Would "my" Mrs Smith be your Aunt by any chance?

Eddie was the third, and middle brother. He was my running mate for the last couple of years at school. He was a Motorcycle nut. I remember he "modernized" some of the neighbors houses by nailing hardboard to the inside doors :-)

Hi, just come across this thread.

Rob O'Neill is my brother-in-law.

Mick lost a leg in a motorcycle accident when he was in his teens.

Eddie was a mechanic and had his own garage at Dinnington. He died a few years ago.

Did you have a sister called Josie?

[quote=xfox3x;

He nearly bled to death around 1951 when I stabbed him in the wrist whilst running alongside him with his Jack knife in my hand, as luck would have it, his Grandmother or aunty lived around the corner at Crosspool, she bandaged him up, took the knife off us and sent us packing.

That was in the days when every kid had a pen knife of sorts, we used them for peeling mangles [pumpkins] that we got from the first farm barn, peeling scromped apples, and sharpening canes for arrows or spears, those were the good old days, I think Robert was the youngest and had red hair ?

[quote=xfox3x;

He nearly bled to death around 1951 when I stabbed him in the wrist whilst running alongside him with his Jack knife in my hand, as luck would have it, his Grandmother or aunty lived around the corner at Crosspool, she bandaged him up, took the knife off us and sent us packing.

That was in the days when every kid had a pen knife of sorts, we used them for peeling mangles [pumpkins] that we got from the first farm barn, peeling scromped apples, and sharpening canes for arrows or spears, those were the good old days, I think Robert was the youngest and had red hair ?

Yes, Rob is the youngest and had red hair...but has very little left now!

His daughter inherited the awful ginger colour much to her disgust.

He was 60 last year. Two children and a grandson.

Mick will be about 65 and has two children. Eddie had two children but died in his very early fifties.

I think Mick is at least a year older than me, so he would be about 68 or 69 this year ?

Robert was only 5 when we moved to the shirecliffe, so he wouldn't remember me.

I married a redhead, so I'm not getting into that one, ha ha.

I think Mick is at least a year older than me, so he would be about 68 or 69 this year ?

Robert was only 5 when we moved to the shirecliffe, so he wouldn't remember me.

I married a redhead, so I'm not getting into that one, ha ha.

I know Mick is on face book if you ever felt like contacting him x

Western Road (now Westways) was at Western Road, Crookes. There was Crookes Endowed School and Lydgate Lane. Where specifically in Walkley?

Burgoyne Road, Bole Hill, Sacred Heart, There was a catholic school on Howard Road, was it St.Marie's? People in Walkley may be able to offer more detail? Myers Grove hadn't been born then.

I went to Crookes Endowed before moving to Tapton on Darwin Lane , approx 1959, my parents owned a shop opposite the Old Grindstone Pub

Hi, just come across this thread.

Rob O'Neill is my brother-in-law.

Eddie was a mechanic and had his own garage at Dinnington. He died a few years ago.

Did you have a sister called Josie?

No I do not have a sister

I remember both Mick and Robert also. Used to hang out at their house with Eddie but I doubt they remember me.

Saddened to hear Eddie left us.

(But they are calling our row)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there 1 & all. I'm organising a St Mary's Reunion (whether you went to Howard rd or Cundy st), & was just wondering if anyone out there still knows of any teachers or dinner ladies that are still alive & kicking? It would be nice for them to come, if they want.

:help:

If you went to this school then why not come along & have some laughs & meet up with old friends.

It's on Friday 26th March meeting between 7:30 & 8pm at the Walkley Cottage Pub

Many Thanks Jen XX

Archived