Workhouses in either Crookes or Walkley 1930's

ttourtell

Does anyone remember any work houses in either Crookes or Walkley during the 1930's? I ask because apparently 2 of my aunts (now passed) were put into one for a few months after their Mom passed away, so my own Mom could get her family situation sorted out. I just need names and locations so I can look them up on the internet (I really don't like trudging to the library ...) Thank you.

Officially, the workhouse system was abolished in 1930, but in many places the institutions continued to exist with little change for some time. See http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Crookes and Walkley were in Ecclesall Bierlow Poor Law Union. The Union Workhouse was in Nether Edge and later became Nether Edge Hospital. Lots of information/images/maps on that site (search for Ecclesall).

The Ecclesall page also includes information about Fulwood Cottage Homes which might have been a more likely place for you aunts to go.

Hugh

Hi Hugh: Thanks for the information. I shall check out the website. Isn't the internet wonderful....? I never knew such places existed - sounds like Oliver Twist - ugh! Well I am sure that children were adequately cared for. At least I would hope so. Must have been a heart wrenching decision for my Mom to have to put her sisters in one of these places. I do know they had to take their Bibles with them.

Hi Hugh: Thanks for the information. I shall check out the website. Isn't the internet wonderful....? I never knew such places existed - sounds like Oliver Twist - ugh! Well I am sure that children were adequately cared for. At least I would hope so. Must have been a heart wrenching decision for my Mom to have to put her sisters in one of these places. I do know they had to take their Bibles with them.

Well... they got food, and they got shelter... If you can call that "adequate".

But the food was often poor, and in sparse quantities, in such institutions.

Hi Plaintalker - are you speaking from experience or did you have family members in a workhouse at one time? No being rude - just trying to get information for my project. I did go the website that HUGH recommended and it reads just like "Oliver Twist"...ugh! Given the ages of my Aunts (13 and 15) during the 1930's, I would like to think that they were placed in Fulwood Cottages rather than Nether Edge. The archives are in Sheffield Library but not on the Web, and one has to go there personally to look them up. Since that is not possible for me, I will have to do more research to see if I can find another way to get at the records. Thanks again.

Hi Plaintalker - are you speaking from experience or did you have family members in a workhouse at one time? No being rude - just trying to get information for my project. I did go the website that HUGH recommended and it reads just like "Oliver Twist"...ugh! Given the ages of my Aunts (13 and 15) during the 1930's, I would like to think that they were placed in Fulwood Cottages rather than Nether Edge. The archives are in Sheffield Library but not on the Web, and one has to go there personally to look them up. Since that is not possible for me, I will have to do more research to see if I can find another way to get at the records. Thanks again.

Hi ttourtell. Thee are a number of threads on here about the Fulwood cottage homes, and some of doesn't make for nice reading I'm afraid.

Not to my knowledge, thank God... however I did nurse in several institutions that were former workhouses, (Nether Edge, Northern General and St Joseph's) and knew about the former use and the conditions therein.

(I mean, some places I worked, I have to say the workhouse might have been a better option for some of the residents! :o )

Archived