Harlequin hotel,Johnson St.

Kidorry

Can anyone remember when Joe Worley had this pub up to the 60s.If so do you remember the name of his wife.We have been trying to remember it for weeks now but with no luck.

Can't help you. I remember Joe but not his wife, although I must have seen her often enough, going up and down the street.

Speaking of the Harlequin, I always wondered how it stayed in business. I'm sure it was a " tied house" but not to one of the regular Shefffield breweries. I suppose they got some trade from Gallimore's and Aizlewood's flour mill. but it always seemed dead at night and on weekends. If you lived quite close, maybe you saw more activity than I did.

There was another pub on Johnson Street called the Albion - corner of Stanley Lane. The building survived for a long time but I think it stopped being a pub some time in WWII or near the end.

Regards

Can anyone remember when Joe Worley had this pub up to the 60s.If so do you remember the name of his wife.We have been trying to remember it for weeks now but with no luck.

Can't help you. I remember Joe but not his wife, although I must have seen her often enough, going up and down the street.

Speaking of the Harlequin, I always wondered how it stayed in business. I'm sure it was a " tied house" but not to one of the regular Shefffield breweries. I suppose they got some trade from Gallimore's and Aizlewood's flour mill. but it always seemed dead at night and on weekends. I left the area in 1960 so don't know what happened after that. If you were around the area longer, maybe you saw more activity than I did.

There was another pub on Johnson Street called the Albion - corner of Stanley Lane. The building survived for a long time but I think it stopped being a pub some time in WWII or near the end.

Regards

After Joe worley left it became a decent pub when Sam & Hilda Bagnall kept it.As for Joe I think he was the only landlord that discouraged trade.More than 3 customers & he was in a right tizzy.:hihi:It must have been the worst pint of Wards in Sheffield when he had it.

• 9 years later...