Before you complain about a restaurant or bar...

SimonS

If you went into a supermarket and there was only one checkout open with a gigantic queue would you accept "we're under-staffed" as an excuse ?

No but more to the point- would you complain like you would in a restaurant? (both I think are acceptable to complain about)

Sheffield forum is full of reviews on every restaurant and bar in Sheffield.

There are rants about poor service, bad food, microwave food, etc. Sometimes it is deserved.

But what about BAD CUSTOMERS? Are you the type of person who lowers their expectations when a place is busy or do you think "Great. Time to act like a complete <insert rude word> and sulk and complain about everything!"

Do you work in any restaurants or bars and want Sheffield people to know just what a dogs life it is.......???

Working in extremely busy under-staffed places

No chance to actually show your cooking skills because everything must be micro-waved to "spec"

Trying to get tips from customers who are going to make you pay for every penny of it with their disgusting rude behaviour

Kids running riot in the restaurant and bar

Customers turning up un-booked at busy times and expecting you to be able to super-humanly serve everybody as though it is the Ritz not Centretainment

Managers who sit in the back office and leave all the complaints to you

Finishing at 1.30am

Looking at the rota to see you have been rota'd on for all the shifts you already said you couldn't work next week

Never seeing your friends

Someones had a bad day at work!

I feel your pain brother. I worked in catering and bars for over a decade and if theres one truth I learned its that the customer is not always right.

The other thing I learned is that if you want something done for you while in a restaurant and you wish to complain, do it calmly, courteously and reasonably and you will be far more likely to get the result you seek

No but more to the point- would you complain like you would in a restaurant? (both I think are acceptable to complain about)

You may well just leave your shopping and go - in a supermarket there isn't the same environment to complain in, but you may vote with your feet.

Ade

I`m also polite and complimentary about the food (even if it`s undeserved sometimes) as is my wife. We tip well (10%+) if all is well and less than that if things aren`t too good. Do we pass the customer screening for your place?

Why would you be complimentary about food when it's undeserved? That does a disservice to all your fellow diners, and the restaurant.

Ade

If you went into a supermarket and there was only one checkout open with a gigantic queue would you accept "we're under-staffed" as an excuse ?

No. I'd not expect an excuse. I'd read the lay of the land and realise that the poor staff member serving was doing their best and queue in turn and be gracious.

Rubbish analogy, if I went to a restaurant with the turnover/profit margin of a supermarket I'd be gobsmacked... If you went to a Spar and there was a massive queue and only one person serving you'd think "God I bet it's crap working here" then sympathetically hand over your cash...

Sheffield is an incredibly hard city for bars, restaurants and pretty much anything that doesn't revolve around students... All I can say is that the mood of this forum is very very negative and puts more pressure on people who are working really hard, unsociable hours just to provide decent entertainment to a city that most of the time isn't even interested...

No. I'd not expect an excuse. I'd read the lay of the land and realise that the poor staff member serving was doing their best and queue in turn and be gracious.

And because you would do that they would think it's acceptable to have only one person serving and not bother to hire anyone else. If people don't complain a) the business doesn't think there is any problem b) nothing changes c) the staff there are have to work harder to cover for the people that should be there. So by graciously doing nothing you are helping nobody.

The OP might not like this but....

When I go to a restaurant I expect friendly service. I expect good food. I expect a clean eating environment. I don't expect to be waiting hours.

If I get these, rest assured, you'll get a good tip.

To further explain...

I expect friendly service because your problems are not my problems. If you are busy, if you've had hassle off other customers, it is not my fault.

I expect good food, but don't expect 5* in a Centertainment type venue. It should at least be warm and up to a decent standard.

I expect cleanliness and for my table to not have previous customers remnents on it. I'm happy to wait til it's cleared.

I don't expect to be waiting hours, if it's busy I'd rather be told at the door that food will take a long time, then I can decide to go elsewhere. Sometimes I'm happy to wait, but would rather be informed.

The above is the minimum standard I believe any customer should expect. If any of the above fail, people should complain.

Essentially, there are ways to complain graciously, and there are ways to deal with complaints graciously.

I will complain if I have bad service, and if that complaint is dealt with satisfactorily that will be the end of it.

Not catering, but a good example is the way I was dealt with by the Wedding List service in Debenhams in town. I really had cause for complaint about the way the wedding list cordinator was dealing with some of the gifts I wished to return, What I wanted to do was well within their terms and conditions, but both the coordinator and the the store manager refused to exchange the items. They backed down reluctantly as an act of 'good will' when I got the head office involved.

Because of the disgracefull way my complaint had been handled I made sure that all my engaged friends knew about it, and spoke about it on this forum and every wedding forum going. I know for a fact they lost several wedding lists as a result.

Archived