Before you complain about a restaurant or bar...

SimonS

Although i agee with alot of what you say, saying you can not show your skills because you are told to microwave pre packed items is bull...it. there are lots of good places to work in sheffield aswell as hundreds of bad place.

you are not a slave and can move on when you please. you make your own luck in this world.

The OP might not like this but....

When I go to a restaurant I expect friendly service. I expect good food. I expect a clean eating environment. I don't expect to be waiting hours.

If I get these, rest assured, you'll get a good tip.

To further explain...

I expect friendly service because your problems are not my problems. If you are busy, if you've had hassle off other customers, it is not my fault.

I expect good food, but don't expect 5* in a Centertainment type venue. It should at least be warm and up to a decent standard.

I expect cleanliness and for my table to not have previous customers remnents on it. I'm happy to wait til it's cleared.

I don't expect to be waiting hours, if it's busy I'd rather be told at the door that food will take a long time, then I can decide to go elsewhere. Sometimes I'm happy to wait, but would rather be informed.

The above is the minimum standard I believe any customer should expect. If any of the above fail, people should complain.

I totally agree Swordfish. I didn't post the original post because I expect customers to put up with me being rubbish. I genuinely work as hard as possible to make their experience as good as it can be.

I was talking more about dealing with customers who, for example, will be greeted with a more than acceptable level of service, cleanliness and food quality but because a place is very busy (and they have been pre-warned about the possibility of a long wait) they start behaving badly. This can be saying rude things, making sarcastic comments and generally venting frustration at you.

9 times out of 10 when you ask if they would like to discuss their dis-satisfaction with the manager they don't want to bother. That's what customers should do - not sulk. I'm sure you know that a waiter or waitress has no power to offer free drinks, refunds or whatever.

There is also dealing with drunk people or people who like to say shocking sexual things to waiting staff to get a reaction. Like Alan Carr says "If I wanted to hear language like that I'd shop at Aldi".... :hihi:

Although i agee with alot of what you say, saying you can not show your skills because you are told to microwave pre packed items is bull...it. there are lots of good places to work in sheffield aswell as hundreds of bad place.

you are not a slave and can move on when you please. you make your own luck in this world.

I don't work in the kitchen I added that bit as a shout out for the microwave technician crew.

I'm sorry but I disagree completely with the OP comments.

I have worked in many bars and resturants in the past and I'm sorry but there is absolutely NO excuse for poor customer service and poor food.

I tell you what, American bar and resturant staff put the majority of ours to shame.

I tell you what, American bar and resturant staff put the majority of ours to shame.

Because they are paid by service charge, I worked there for 6 yrs and averaged £35k a yr as a waiter working 8 hrs a day. 6 days 3 months of the year, 5 days 6 months of the year, 3 days 2 months of the year and all of January off!

We cared because it related directly to how much money we made, I had even been known to get in my car and drive to the shops for specific Jam for a guests breakfast, but I knew full well the next day $20 would be heading my way!

http://www.whitebarninn.com/Content_Common/pg-kennebunkport-maine-restaurants-fine-dining.seo

Yes I know. I think that's how it should be here. Customers as a whole have NO respect for bar staff etc and they should have.

There needs to be a change in the mind set in this country that customer service is a good thing.

Exactly but unfortunately there are too many people that seem to think just because they are out for dinner they have a right to be rude, arrogant and obnoxious. Of course there are plenty of nice people, but in the States you are encouraged to be nice to the waiter as we have a lot of control over how nice your dining experience might be!

I'm sorry but I disagree completely with the OP comments.

I have worked in many bars and resturants in the past and I'm sorry but there is absolutely NO excuse for poor customer service and poor food.

BruciesBabe Yes I know. I think that's how it should be here. Customers as a whole have NO respect for bar staff etc and they should have.

There needs to be a change in the mind set in this country that customer service is a good thing.

:huh: I think you have mis-read me BruciesBabe. I have not said that customers should not complain. I have not said there is an excuse for bad food or service.

My reason for posting was to say give respect to the workers and be polite. Some reviews on here are HYPER critical. I read one about somewhere I used to work. The review basically said everything was fine but I am slating it because it was busy and we had to wait longer than I would have liked......

We should take into account how hard it is when a restaurant is busy and how hard it is to get reliable staff who will work hard.

If you have worked in bars and restaurants you will know that it can either be lovely or complete hell - you never know what or who you are going to get.

Some almost make waiters and waitresses pay for their tip by degrading them.

People with a complaint could politely ask for the manager and have a word with them instead of behaving badly towards the front of house staff.......

This is an extreme example.......Last week I was comforting a crying 17 year old girl I work with because a group of "Men" old enough to be her father had been saying disgusting sexual things to her. They tipped her money as though that made up for it - as though she was a lap dancer or whatever. They'd had their laugh so they didn't care. It was so hard for this girl to then be bothered about all her other tables.... She just wanted to walk out.

I completely agree with jamesogt's comments.

Archived