California bans same-sex marriage - ban overturned

Your accent may become affected while being schooled but you would still carry the monicker of a Irish family name. Furthermore the only persons of Irish descent that you will find in UK Gov will be C.O.E. It is a well known fact that in order to climb the hierarchy tree within the establishment you must be C.O.E.

By C.O.E you mean church of England I take it?. That would be the Northern Irish, the descendents of the English and Scottish settlers brought over to Ireland by King James 1 to grab lands taken from the native Irish owners. Their names aren't Irish either. They are still Scots and English sounding.

Try O'Donnell. My mothers maiden name. Now that is a true Irish name.

That will no doubt happen as will a president of Hispanic descent and I would say long before Britain elects a non-white Prime Minister.

Your country truely leads the world in open-mindedness and tollerance, we can all learn from you.

Your accent may become affected while being schooled but you would still carry the monicker of a Irish family name. Furthermore the only persons of Irish descent that you will find in UK Gov will be C.O.E. It is a well known fact that in order to climb the hierarchy tree within the establishment you must be C.O.E.

Not quite sure of that. It may be so at the moment, but I certainly know that a few years ago, certain Sinn fein MPs (I STR Gerry Adams was one) from Northern Ireland (who are, I believe Catholic,) were disbarred from (or was it that they refused to?) enter the House of Commons on the grounds that they refused to swear any oath of allegiance to the Queen, an oath that was "necessary" to swear, in order to serve in Parliament?

While I was shocked that the gay rights side lost in a state like CA, I have to say that the pro gay rights side really didn’t sell their side. The Mormon/Catholic alliance who bankrolled prop 8 were better financed and organized and managed to muddy the water enough that plenty of people were unsure what they were voting for. I think other, like me, thought this would never happen in CA and that’s the danger of apathy.

ps here's a story from 2001, about Gerry Adams Et Al refusing to swear the oath

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1707761.stm

I'll bet the reverend Ian Paisley swore an oath though. That religious extremist hate monger.

Should people in England be proud that he waved the union jack around.

A loyal subject of the queen.

There were/are many like him in northern Ireland. People with his mentality who would deny jobs to catholic Irish. When there were jobs at Harland and Woff's shipyard priority was given to the protestants first

This kind of racism existed for years and years right on England's doorstep yet the governments in Westminster chose to turn a blind eye to it

All the misery and bloodshed that followed in later years had roots in the policies of the Ulster government which Westminster turned a blind eye to.

Archived