California bans same-sex marriage - ban overturned

I was unaware that protestants and catholics are in fact different races, you learn something every day, it would seem.

Perhaps I should have said discrimination on the basis of religion. If the name was of Scottish or English origin it was known in Ulster that the person was a protestant. On the other hand if it was "O' something or Mc something the person was perceived to be catholic.

My grandfather who lived most of his life there knew all about the religious caste system that existed in that wonderfully free and democratic part of the United Kingdom

I was working as a carpenter on a job at Heathrow airport back in the late 1950s. Most of the crew I worked with were Irish. I can always remember knocking on a door of a boarding house in Hounslow and when it was opened the woman looked at me and without any questions said "Sorry.. we dont take Irish" slamming the door in my face. Most of my fellow workers wcouldn't find accommodation either and ended up staying in some grungy hostel It was quite common back then to see signs saying "No Irish" Believe me. I l saw it. I'm sure that things have improved in England since then but it's still very far from being a racially equal paradise

It's quite unfair really, comparing Britain 50 years ago to America today. America wasn't exactly 'the land of the free' back then was it?

Atleast something sane!

Why can't dumb struck people understand that if God would have wanted same gender marriages, instead of creating Adam and Eve, he would've created Adam and Steve!

Cheers

Adam and Eve were characters invented by the writers of the Old Testament.

God - or nature if you don't believe in God created some people who are sexually attracted to the same sex.

It's cool.

Going back to the original post about California banning same sex marriages. This in itself was a victory against liberalism. I for one do not believe that it will have any effect on the Gaye community other than making them realize that the lifestyle they wish to practice is not accepted by the masses.

Furthermore, the Gaye community should just accept that this time round they have lost the vote. The voters in California are not “right wing nut jobs” they are voters that exercised their right to vote based on their beliefs. One must respect the laws of the lands based on a democratic vote..

.The same failure of Western Europe s evident, where the dogma of multiculturalism has left a secular Europe, very slow to address the looming problem of religious extremism among its immigrants. The people who have been speaking speaking most sensibly about the threat that Islam poses to Europe are actually considered fascists by the liberals.

Not quite sure of that. It may be so at the moment, but I certainly know that a few years ago, certain Sinn fein MPs (I STR Gerry Adams was one) from Northern Ireland (who are, I believe Catholic,) were disbarred from (or was it that they refused to?) enter the House of Commons on the grounds that they refused to swear any oath of allegiance to the Queen, an oath that was "necessary" to swear, in order to serve in Parliament?

If you wish to sit in the commons you should swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen. But the House of commons is NOT the establishment. As it states it is the House of " commons".

That will no doubt happen as will a president of Hispanic descent and I would say long before Britain elects a non-white Prime Minister.

In many of the things you write Harleyman I can agree in full/part. But on the slant of the UK never having a non-white Prime Minister I do not agree with you. It is my opinion if a non-white candidate came to the table in the UK and he/she were of C.O.E they would stand a chance. Especially if that person was as charismatic as Barak Obama and had the funding equal. The U.K obviously follows the USA in many areas and as the saying goes “If you want to know what will happen to the country in 10 to 15 years looks what’s happening in America NOW.”

In many of the things you write Harleyman I can agree in full/part. But on the slant of the UK never having a non-white Prime Minister I do not agree with you. It is my opinion if a non-white candidate came to the table in the UK and he/she were of C.O.E they would stand a chance. Especially if that person was as charismatic as Barak Obama and had the funding equal. The U.K obviously follows the USA in many areas and as the saying goes “If you want to know what will happen to the country in 10 to 15 years looks what’s happening in America NOW.”

There are many complex factors at work here. For starters, the UK is far more steeped in the class system that America. Look at the stick that John Prescott gets for example. So I would argue that it's more to do with class than race.

Archived