California bans same-sex marriage - ban overturned

Racism is racism no matter what level it's on and the UK is no exception even though it was/is praciiced in a less extreme way. Britain's class systen although not what could be classified as racism was an obnoxious system akin to racism. As I mentioned before the waves of immigrants who came to Britain to work from the latter part of the 19th century up until the 1970s were victims of racism (British style of course) Although social segregation was not an official policy as it was in the southern states of the US most of these immigrant groups were nevertheless confined to living in ghettos in the big industrial cities of Britain more by a system of subtle phychological exclusion

Apparently from what I've learned any politician who runs for election as prime minister has to be a member of the Church of England if he/she hopes to be elected. This requirement of course is religious discrimination and very much narrows down the field of prospective candidates. My idea of a male or female member of such a religious affiliation would be someone lily white. Would this requirement have the basis for making sure of keeping it "all in the family" so to speak? Cant see any candidate of Pakistani, Hindu or African descent converting to Anglican in order to qualify.

Those groups do not take their religious affiliations lightly

Racism in Britain may not have been as extreme as Jim Crow but it's there nevertheless

Please read the link you will find it interesting http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/william_rees_mogg/article3090555.ece

Apparently from what I've learned any politician who runs for election as prime minister has to be a member of the Church of England if he/she hopes to be elected. This requirement of course is religious discrimination and very much narrows down the field of prospective candidates.

Let me correct you.

David Lloyd George, British Prime Minister, was a Noncomformist and worshipped at the Disciples of Christ Chapel in Criccieth, north Wales.

Neville Chamberlain, British Prime Minister, was a Unitarian - and rejected the C of E doctrine of the Holy Trinity.

More recently, the Conservative Party leader Michael Howard, who was an aspirant to become Prime Minister, is a Jew.

Strawman, I never said it didn't, I simply pointing out just how moronic your blatantly false claims that the UK was on a par with the USA when it came to racism were.

And your grounds for these claims are what exa

Humble background :huh: His parents were grad students.

Baracks election, clearly demonstrates that the US isn't as racist as it used to be, however all the absurd stories flying around about him being a 'secret muslim', being ineligible to be President and so forth also demonstrate that the US still has a good way to go.

Those who talk about Obama being a secret Muslim are in a small minority.

Please try and give some credit to the intelligence and common sense of the average American voter. Fact is Obama received a huge vote from the younger generation white voters

Obama was born humble in Arkansas a state that at the time of his birth practiced racial segregation

I think you are well overdue for an educationlal visit to the USA. Travel broadens the mind dont you know.

Let me correct you.

David Lloyd George, British Prime Minister, was a Noncomformist and worshipped at the Disciples of Christ Chapel in Criccieth, north Wales.

Neville Chamberlain, British Prime Minister, was a Unitarian - and rejected the C of E doctrine of the Holy Trinity.

More recently, the Conservative Party leader Michael Howard, who was an aspirant to become Prime Minister, is a Jew.

Well that's good to know. Perhaps one day Britain might even move a step further and one elect a non-white Prime Minister

I think you are well overdue for an educationlal visit to the USA. Travel broadens the mind dont you know.

nobikejohn and I will be in New York next March, where we will be on holiday following our civil partnerhsip. The flights and hotel are booked.

Amongst other must-see places we want to visit, we are looking forward to an educational visit to the site of the Stonewall riots.

We also have future plans to visit San Franciso.

You too should visit some gay-related places in the USA, for as you say yourself - travel broadens the mind. :thumbsup:

Well that's good to know. Perhaps one day Britain might even move a step further and one elect a non-white Prime Minister

I never put you down as a human rights person, did you vote for Obama? Back on topic, it's a shame that California has banned same sex marriage.

nobikejohn and I will be in New York next March, where we will be on holiday following our civil partnerhsip. The flights and hotel are booked.

Amongst other must-see places we want to visit, we are looking forward to an educational visit to the site of the Stonewall riots.

We also have future plans to visit San Franciso.

You too should visit some gay-related places in the USA, for as you say yourself - travel broadens the mind. :thumbsup:

Dont have to travel far from my domicile. Twenty miniutes on the freeway would bring me to West Hollywood and another fifteen to Santa Monica both cities with considerable gay communities. I have a gay friend who has worked for me as a sub-contractor. An electrician who does excellent work

I'm not against gays only the possible eventuality that they will push for marriage in any church against that Church's or it's congregations will.

If they are happy to be married in a civil registry or in a church that okays it thats fine by me but no future agendas to push further and require all churches to carry out gay weddings.

Sorry for jumping in with a question on page 14, but I haven't been following this thread.

I am wondering why the BBC article thinks that gay marriages that have already taken place would not be honoured?

The reason I ask sounds a little fantastical, but the strange thought jumped in to my head that if I was homosexual I would probably want to be married by an Elvis impersonator or something in Las Vegas, which took me to the Wiki entry on Nevada.

Which took me to:

Williams v. North Carolina, 317 U.S. 287 (1942), in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that North Carolina had to give "full faith and credit" to a Nevada divorce. (This basically means all states have to honor a marriage or divorce performed in another state.)

So according to that ruling gay marriages should be honoured wherever they have legally been carried out, surely?

(It doesn't however answer the question I went to Wiki for which was to check whether Las Vegas does homosexual marriages.)

Archived