A Cartoonist called L.R. Briautt, circa 1930-40s

Redfyre

No, but...

Owen BRADSHAW bn 1890, whose service record is on Ancestry (indexed as 'Owens', service number 12/877) is described as a journalist on his attestation form.

His medal card says he was a corporal, but also mentions 'A/Sgt' which I'm guessing means Acting Sergeant. It looks as though he started with the 12th Battalion but moved to the 13th. He ended the war as Brigade Clerk attached to the HQ of the 94th Yeoman Infantry Brigade. He was 'mildly' gassed in 1918.

Hugh

From Sheffield Archives holdings (from a list at the National Archives):

Owen Bradshaw, journalist and artist: papers rel to Home Guard service, incl writings on camouflage, with scrap books and other ephemera 1928-88 (2004/30)

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dublugee-- Re Owen Bradshaw, I have been looking at The Star for 1946 today and, hey presto, I found an obit for Owen Bradshaw. He died suddenly at the age of 56 on Friday November 8th 1946. Apparently he was the author of Gloops (The Star) cartoons from 1936 to just days before his death in the Royal Infirmary. He started out with the Weekly Telegraph as a boy in 1904 and later became an artist and sub-editor on that paper, subsequently working as an artist with The Star. During WW1 he was with the City Battalion (sgt), and served with the Home Guard in WW2. He left a widow and a daughter, and at the time of his death his family home was at 44 Watt Lane, Sheffield.

Thanks Redfyre for filling in on cartoonist Owen Bradshaw. Re your Gloops research: The Star's jolly cartoon cat was being drawn around 1950 by Walter Chambers. All Gloops Club members will have fond memories of 'Aunt Edith' (Edith Outram) while members of the Sheffield Telegraph Childrens' Ring will remember 'Uncle Timothy' (city councillor Ernest Tindall).

I remember when you could walk into The Star shop on High Street and talk to Aunt Edith.She was a very kind lady, and as kids we thought it great that it was so easy to meet her. In later years, I met Ernest Tindall, and he, too, was the sort of man you would love to have as your grandfather!

• 1 month later...

I have come across a cutting re the sequence of artists who drew Gloops in The Star. The first was Ken Sydney, then came Owen Bradshaw (known as Cousin Toby), and the last one was Walter Chambers, who took over at a moment's notice when Bradshaw died.

I would be interested in knowing more about Ken Sydney, and, indeed, Walter Chambers. Anyone got any info?

The Gloops cartoon celebrated its 25th anniversary in mid 1953, and The Star produced a souvenir section.

Archived