A Cartoonist called L.R. Briautt, circa 1930-40s

Redfyre

Hi dublugee! I thought a gentleman of your great vintage and knowledge would be sure to know something about Ken Sydney, the man who created Gloops and drew him for The Star from 1928 to 1936. Oh dear, what do I do now! I assume that Ken either retired or died in 1936, for that is when Bradshaw was brought into action.

I am not too surprised that Ken Sydney hasn't prompted an immediate reaction, but I did think there would be someone out there who knew a bit about Walter Chambers.

I can't remember when the Gloops cartoon stopped appearing in The Star (it may have been in the late 1950s), and I don't know whether it stopped as part of a new editorial policy, or whether it was because Chambers retired.

We might have a clue if we know something about Aunt Edith (Edith Outram?) and when she finished at Kemsley House, for I can't imagine the paper letting Gloops continue after Aunt Edith's departure.

Archived