Park Hill Flats, who lived there, and what are your memories of them?

catherine418

Park Hill flats .There were four rows Long Henry,Norwich and I can not think of the other ones.I had a aunt and uncle lived there for years I was always staying with them it must have been the fun of riding up and down in the lifts.

The other two rows that you are trying to remember, Alan, are Hague Row and Gilbert Row. (like the other two rows, and the rows on Hyde Park and Kelvin Flats, they named them after the streets that were in the vicinity before the flats were built.)

Its funny but no matter what city you live or what part of the world ,there's always a Park Hill flats something must be basic wrong with lumping all those people together & as sure as night follows day they all start well and go downhill fast (we have three):rant::rant::rant:

Its funny but no matter what city you live or what part of the world ,there's always a Park Hill flats something must be basic wrong with lumping all those people together & as sure as night follows day they all start well and go downhill fast (we have three):rant::rant::rant:

I don't know what you mean?

Park Hill was an award-winning development in its day:- it was wonderful, warm, centrally-heated housing with indoor sanitation,hot water 24/7, shops on the doorstep, light, airy, well-designed... Light years better than the notorious and insanitary housing that the flats replaced.

There was a sense of community, in those days, as the council were able to vet the tenants who were given the properties, and ensure that they were not going to be anti-social. People were literally fighting to get housed on those flats.

I still think they could be excellent, with maintenance, and tenants who are vetted. The flats themselves are well laid-out, and spacious, internally.

I lived on PH flats 338 Long Henry Row. I even rember the old school been demolised and the new one been rebuilt.

There was such a happy warm atmosphere inside the flats and I can remember the waste disposals that stank horrid and as soon as you walked in the door of yours or a neigbours house they made your stomache churn.

We lived above the Link Public House and you never heard any noise or trouble. I can honestly say the lifts never broke down, but I do recall walking down the steps and there were even flats on the staircase.

I remember the roof of the garages which had lines and snake like white painted paths that we rode our little 3 wheeler bikes on. Where was H&S in those days. Also there was the Brownies in the Community centre and the bread shop tht sold little hovis loafs for a halfpenny .

I lived there from 1959- 1966 and then we moved to Foxhill we got an "exchange".

I remember the doctor on Duke Street he wasn't very good as I recall according to my mum god bless her he nearly cost my sister her life...

I live in Rotherham now and yesterday we visited Sheffield and I was amazed that the flats are now empty shells and you can see right through them and that the new PH school I watched as a child being built is just waste land now.

Hi Plain talker what I was trying to say (&not doing a good job)was they all start out with great expectations all brand new with good locale I did say we have 3 (london Ontario)but on recount its closer to 7 & in all cases folk were lining up to get in but in a very short time they became dumps I think the very worst thing any one or body can do is rent and I know not all but a very large% of renters just don't respect what they don't own,so think the only thing is to put tenants on the road to buying:thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 4 years later...

Archived