Legends of the lane

sharrovian

I have noticed that Sheffield United have set-up a fellowship for past players at the lane. When I was working back in the 1960s a player came to work part-time where I worked his name was Cliff Mason, I seem to remember that he captained the side for a while and he played left-back, he was a genial chap and quite a few of us Unitedites were very friendly with him, I just wondered if anybody knew of his whereabouts.

I have also in recent years become acquainted with one Roy Turley who is also an ex-blade, I believe he played for United back in the 1950s and had a brother who was an Owls player. Roy lives in Stalham, Norfolk where I have a cousin.

Does anybody else know of the whereabouts of any ex-players? United could be interested.

Cec was one of the best --a really good guy, lovely man, and, as a player, someone who learned how to make the best use of his talents. A terrific servant to United, in the true Bramall Lane tradition for service and loyalty. I hope The Star will give him a good write-up, even though I don't imagine they have anyone on the staff who really knows all about what a good lad Cec was. Pity Peter Howard isn't around to put the record straight. You Blades fans, get sending some letters in!

Archived