HELP !! local history questions

Mr Pops

Hi i wonder if you can help me i need to find answer to these questions

What used to be the Meadowhall Retail Park .. ?

What used to be the Arena .. ?

What used to be the Don Vally Stadium .. ?:thumbsup:

No. 1 i think was Hadfields steel works & No. 3 was Brown bayleys steel works

1) mad as hell:- was Dunford hadfields steelworks

2) the arena was mostly housing:- in fact my grandpa's house was where the car-park is now, near the old school. (the car park covers the area from Broughton lane, where Melville road, Ravensworth road, Carltonville road and Campbell road were)

3) part of the land around Don Valley stadium (the "bowl" particularly) was the old Terry Street "Rec". I believe that most of the rest was, as Kidorry saidwas brown baileys.

*goes off to check the old maps and confirm*

okay, just had a look at an old map of the area.

Brown Bayleys works were at the back of the area, beside the train lines (probably pretty much where the tram runs now)

To the front, between Worksop road and Coleridge road were old terraced and back-to-back housing, Fell Road, Howden Road, Whitworth Lane, Holbeck St, Glave St and Kingslake St.

On the other side of Coleridge Road were Amberley St, Edward Road, Berkeley road, Manningham Road and Belmoor Rd, and Blaco St (And Coleridge road School part of which still stands.

No 2 was housing, b&c co-op warehouse, co-op boot & shoe

repair factory and coalyard. plus steel works.

no, telman, the warehousing was further over, on the Carbrook and darnall side of Broughton lane the arena side was petty much all housing, and terry treet (carbrook) rec, (oh, and some railway sidings)

where the centretainment is sited, now, was St Bartholomew's church, a rec a Methodist church and Clifton street.

One of the things that was where the arena is, was a nursery, and the Persberg Steelworks were just by the railway bridge.

On Coleridge road, before you reach the school were the Vulcan works, and on the "town" side of Coleridge Rd, were a heat-treatment works and a crucible works.

The supertram tracks seem to go more where the co-op depot was

No 2 also had two scrap yards on the Broughton lane side, just below the canal bridge.

One was Robinsons later Heselwoods the other was I think Lionel Stevensons, I can't remember what his trading name was.

I remember the ragman in the huge yard on the corner of Carltonville and Campbell roads Number 2 Campbell rd, adjacent to 74 Carltonville.

Archived