Which brewery was the best in Sheffield to visit  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which brewery was the best in Sheffield to visit

• Wards
    • Stones
    • Hope & Anchor
    • Tennants/Whitbread
    • Another that I've forgotten about

we went to stones and wards in the 6th form. stones let us drink pints, and put on a major spread!

wards - sample glasses and nowt else!

I perhaps went round Stones 6/8 times. They always put on a huge buffet and unlimited drinks. The same was true of Hope & Anchor on Claywheels Lane. I went round that one at least as often. We were even allowed to drink from the bottling lines and try experimental beers afterwards. There was always more food than we could eat.

Wards were very good but in later years the buffets were not provided, but the gave us souvenir glasses etc.

I only went round Whitbreads once and was charged a fee. We got 1 half of Trophy afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst working for Stanley we organised a Mens Club outing to the Whtbread Brewery at Bridge Street. This was around 1980 when an updated version of Queens Ale had been re-introduced on a trial basis in several local pubs.

After the tour we were taken to the Brewery bar where amongst other beers said Queens Ale was on the handpump. Memory tells me there was no restriction on how many we drank and I can vividly recall my role as chief dispenser to my work mates, that's about the only time I've ever been trusted with a handpump.

Queens was a strangely weak seeming beer, inocuous, almost watery but in reality was a bit of a killer, but I suppose it must have been less than 5% ? Being a bit of a real ale fan I already knew of it's lethal powers but some of the others wrongly assumed that it would do them no harm.

It must have been 6 or 7 pints each before we left the building, I've no memory of anything much until the following morning when I managed to make it into work despite the headache etc.

My oppo at the time was a guy called Les Fleming, a well practiced regular drinker - but he never arrived that day. When I rang him midday he claimed not to be very well and seemed to blame me for not warning him about Queens Ale and it's effect.

Sadly the beer didn't catch on and was soon withdrawn, in the pub cellar the landlord had to add finings to settle it down before serving - maybe it was all too much trouble ?

Great brewery trip though !

I was gone M.N age 16 so never developed a taste for English Beer however later on I took a like for I.P.A ice cold in bottles, sm prob' back then some pubs had a 12 by 12 fridge in which they carried about 1 doz bottles for the Ladys or other's who was not quite sure,so I got some very funny looks and the odd remark "real men drink pints"

Archived