Evil cash machine or evil bank?

Today evening i used the cash machine of halifax the moor branch to take out 100 pounds. I chose the option that money with receipt. After i took out the money and the receipt i count, i found there are just 90 pounds. I cannot believe that and count again still 90 pounds. But it shows on the receipt that i withdraw 100 pounds.

What i can do? I am sure the bank will not trust me that i only got 90 pounds not 100 pounds. Bad luck.:(

Call the bank in the morning - they know how much cash went in the machine, and how much has been withdrawn, so the discrepancy will show up.

Actually, might be better to go in - you'll have no chance getting the phone number for the branch :)

my bank is 1 mile from my house but if i want to speak to someone i have to phone the call centre which is in India. you couldnt make it up !

I once withdrew a weeks wages from a HSBC in town. Before the money came out it gave me a message saying there had been a problem and see my branch (NatWest).

I went back to my bank. They said it was showing as withdrawn.

I went back to HSBC and they closed the cash machine, checked the drawer where uncollected money goes and checked the roll. No money and the roll was in order. Both banks said there was nothing i could do and made me feel like a liar.

There i was standing in the middle of town without enough money to get home and a new born daughter at home. I had nothing to feed the three of us with. Not even for one day.

I called in at the agency i had been working for to beg for an advance. Luckily i had over 2 weeks worth of holidays owed to me i never even knew about and they agreed to pay me the holidays in cash.

I've never used a HSBC cash maching since and now bank with TSB.

I once withdrew a weeks wages from a HSBC in town. Before the money came out it gave me a message saying there had been a problem and see my branch (NatWest).

I went back to my bank. They said it was showing as withdrawn.

I went back to HSBC and they closed the cash machine, checked the drawer where uncollected money goes and checked the roll. No money and the roll was in order. Both banks said there was nothing i could do and made me feel like a liar.

There i was standing in the middle of town without enough money to get home and a new born daughter at home. I had nothing to feed the three of us with. Not even for one day.

I called in at the agency i had been working for to beg for an advance. Luckily i had over 2 weeks worth of holidays owed to me i never even knew about and they agreed to pay me the holidays in cash.

I've never used a HSBC cash maching since and now bank with TSB.

That quite simply cannot happen. If the money has been debited from your bank account then there would be a corresponding credit to HSBC, culminating in a further debit as the money left the drawer in the ATM. If you're drawing out a larger amount then it will take longer to be counted. The only explanation is some thief behind you decided to pocket the cash.

That quite simply cannot happen. If the money has been debited from your bank account then there would be a corresponding credit to HSBC, culminating in a further debit as the money left the drawer in the ATM. If you're drawing out a larger amount then it will take longer to be counted. The only explanation is some thief behind you decided to pocket the cash.

You can’t call someone a liar but I have to agree with you something doesn’t add up. :suspect:

I was once £20 short, phoned up the bank (call centre) told them the location of the machine and after about a week the money was credited back to my account.

Apparently if the machine malfunctions it puts the money in something called a dump tray and the staff will find it when the machine is checked.

Archived