If The Housing Market Is Up The Swanny Does This Mean The Rentals Are Booming?

Stebbil

I would hope that my flat is relatively desirable as it is much bigger than the standard ones and is also a corner plot thus having no neighbours. It would be fully furnished too. Would hope for £450 a month, but who knows what is attractive and what isnt.

I will agree with Pete. Good luck finding a flat that HASNT gone UP in price. I have lived in Sheffield for 2 years and the increase since I moved here is phenomenal! Next year my room is set to increase £25 per week! That is WAAY above the rate of inflation. I have so far been unable to find even a lesser quality room for cheaper than the new rent level :(

• 1 month later...

It depends how long the property has been empty.

If it has been vacant for 6 months then the rent is too high and needs to be reduced to find a taker, so make a lower offer.

Council tax is payable on empty property after 6 months so the landlords need to find some tenants asap.

However, if rents keep on falling,then the income may be below the landlord´s break-even point for costs.:hihi:

Brilliant

So you are telling me that not only can i not sell my apartment, i cant let it out either? I am so pleased that when i bought it 3 years ago everyone said "its always better to get on the housing ladder rather than throwing away money to a landlord". If i had rented then I would still have my deposit AND would be able to move into a house and start a family with my wife. Cant do that now. Absolutely <removed> typical!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(

Why not start a family in the apartment, surely that was the reason to buy it 3 years ago?

I think rentals are going up, if you have the right property. Tenants are getting fussy - because they can be - and abou time too! I think the days of 5 students/professionals being crammed into a tiny, run down 2 up, 2 down in Crookes are gone. Students and young professionals want location, comfort and style and so will go for the city centre apartments.

Yeah, they're small, but for the short term, they are ideal. Good locations, clean, in working order and smart. I have evey confidence that although I might not be able to sell my flat for the right price any time soon, I'm sure I'll be able to let it out. The fact that the flats around me are full of tenants helps!

Archived