Are gnomes aesthetically unattractive?

I'll lay a ton.

Returning to the OP - gnomes are most definitely hideously aesthetically unattractive. I wouldn't want any hanging around near the grave of one of my loved ones - but then I think we do grieve rather tackily these days and I guess it's a bit much to start shouting about the way other folk like to bury their dead.

Oh no we're not :rant: You're going on the list for that buster :hihi::hihi:

If someone wants to go along with the traditional Christian ethos and have a church burial then they should be content with a traditional gravestone and memorial. If however they'd prefer a "funhouse factory" burial complete with singing gnomes and "woodland creatures" then why are they burying their kin in a Christian graveyard?

You are either in or out..

I think he should have more respect for the relatives and friends. Maybe they are not the nicest thing to him but it is some peoples way of dealing with one of the hardest things there is. If its not offensive it should be ok.

Yeah but quite a few folks find gnomes offensive.

I think he should have more respect for the relatives and friends. Maybe they are not the nicest thing to him but it is some peoples way of dealing with one of the hardest things there is. If its not offensive it should be ok.

Yes, but the church does find them offensive - and it's their churchyard, so they get to make the rules. As the article says:

"If people want their loved ones to be buried in one of our churchyards then they have to stick to the rules which are clearly displayed at all churchyards."

I'll lay a ton.

Returning to the OP - gnomes are most definitely hideously aesthetically unattractive. I wouldn't want any hanging around near the grave of one of my loved ones - but then I think we do grieve rather tackily these days and I guess it's a bit much to start shouting about the way other folk like to bury their dead.

My bold

Which is why I :love: them so!

Years ago, when we re-did the front garden, I wanted to turn it into a proper gnome reserve - wishing wells, fishing gnomes, toadstools, the lot. But my partner wouldn't allow me. I was only only allowed two measly (well, quite big) gnomes which I got from a £1 shop.

My heart was broken one day when someone knocked on the door and said one of them was lying smashed on the pavement. I glued him lovingly back together and put him back with his pal, but he never looked the same again. :hihi:

There's a grave at Hutcliffe Wood that's particularly heartbreaking. Actually not a grave, but a bench memorial for a toddler who died and there's a collection of toys and memorabilia at the bench.

I can see how Christians might want to ban it in the way the Diocese of Wells and Bath have in the Gnome Case, simply because it doesn't conform to Christian ideals. After all the graveyards they control are all consecrated ground around churches. Their property, their choice.

However, I'm very glad that Sheffield Council don't impose these prudish rules and that they allow that memorial at Hutcliffe Wood.

If someone wants to go along with the traditional Christian ethos and have a church burial then they should be content with a traditional gravestone and memorial. If however they'd prefer a "funhouse factory" burial complete with singing gnomes and "woodland creatures" then why are they burying their kin in a Christian graveyard?

You are either in or out..

It is not completely alien to Christianity to use statury nativities are one example, another is the bath tub shrines popular in the United States. One of them with a gnome in could be quite tasteful. :D

Archived